Calgary's Hurricane on the Move

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It is really amazing to see how well the project has progressed, over the years.
I had originally collected a lot of War Two aircraft for display in my hometown, Calgary. Unfortunately, a few greedy people sold a lot of displays, but a few key ones remain. My Lancaster FM-136, Mosquito and one Hurricane, plus some other more modern models. My Spitfire was stolen and passed through a number of hands. AR614 now sits in Paul Allen's collection, beautifully restored.
I now base myself in Haiti where my charity
www.haitian-childrens-fund.org
does what it can to help.
Lynn Garrison
[email protected]

Thanks Lynn

Here's the reason I've been away from the workbench for a while. 5389 has been finish painted and the last major piece, the propeller, was deliver to the shop in September with the help of your's truly. The last week was spent preparing for the first engine start by filling fluids, pre-oiling, fueling, and chasing a few leaks.

Initial attempts at starting were frustrated by an elusive short in the booster magneto wiring that prevented ignition. Having solved that our latest start attempt was late Friday afternoon and here's how it went:

SO CLOSE! We get ignition on prime fuel and booster mag but when we try to let the engine systems take over everything dies. We will check fuel pump, then carburetor next. If OK, the engine mags will receive scrutiny.

It is really amazing to see how well the project has progressed, over the years.
I had originally collected a lot of War Two aircraft for display in my hometown, Calgary. Unfortunately, a few greedy people sold a lot of displays, but a few key ones remain. My Lancaster FM-136, Mosquito and one Hurricane, plus some other more modern models. My Spitfire was stolen and passed through a number of hands. AR614 now sits in Paul Allen's collection, beautifully restored.
I now base myself in Haiti where my charity
www.haitian-childrens-fund.org
does what it can to help.
Lynn Garrison
[email protected]

Hi Lynn
Who owned the Lancaster 10AR KB976 that was in the then Air Museum of Canada in Calgary in the late 60's. Ernest Johnson sold it to a water bomber company and I do not know what happened after that. I thought that was yours.

Last edited:
Diagnosed as a vapour lock in the fuel line to the carburetor. Back there tomorrow for another try. Pretty sure we got it now so stay tuned.

Almost exactly 7 years to the day that this thread was started, RCAF Hurricane 5389 makes its way back to Calgary all in one piece!

Photos by Richard de Boer and Alex Robinson.

Loading at HASI by RDB.jpg

Drone Shot by Alex.jpg

Beats having to unbolt the wings and reassemble them again. Our highway designs and regulations facilitate heavy and oversized loads for our large energy projects. It was also a bit of advertising for the shipper.

I can understand that, I just thought it would have fitted on the truck bed fore and aft, even if it meant 'bridging' the bed width with a support for the gear wheels - roughly eight feet eight inches between wheels, so maybe a tad wide ?

It's more about lane usage. Loading this way allows the tractor to stay in a lane and the load to not block the passing lane especially over bridges.

I have another pic from the other side showing that the tip of the spinner only overhangs the side of the trailer maybe 3 or 4 feet whereas if the aircraft was centered on the trailer with wings perpendicular to the direction of travel, the wingtips would have overhung by about 15 feet either side.

Last edited:
Great news about it being done but got to say that is not something I've seen before for shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back