Calgary's Hurricane on the Move

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Yesterday, as part of my volunteer duties with the Calgary Mosquito Society, I helped prepare the society's other aircraft, a Hurricane Mk. XII, for a move to a restoration facility about 3 hours north of the city. There, it will undergo a restoration to static (but engine running) display back here at the Calgary Aerospace Museum. The history of this particular Hurricane is as follows:

1942 - Built by Canadian Car Foundry, Fort William (now Thunder Bay), Ontario.
Jun 10, 1942 - Noted "This aircraft has been modified before being placed in service".
Jun 23, 1942 - Taken on strength, assigned serial number RCAF 5389.
To No. 4 Training Command, BCATP, Calgary, Alberta and delivered into stored reserve.
Jul 3, 1942 - Assigned to No. 133 (Fighter) Squadron, Lethbridge, Alberta. Aircraft 5389 coded as FN*M
Oct 5, 1942 - No. 133 (F) Squadron transfered to Western Air Command and relocated to RCAF Station Boundary Bay, British Columbia for home defense.
Jul 1, 1943 - Squadron is relocated to Tofino, British Columbia.
Jul 15, 1943 - Suffered a Category 'C' crash at Tofino.
Jul 22, 1943 - To Coates Limited for repairs.
Feb 28, 1944 - Stored reserve with Western Air Command.
Aug 4, 1944 - To No. 2 Training Command, BCATP, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Dec 1, 1944 - To No. 2 Training Command, BCATP, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Feb 12, 1945 - Stored reserve.
Jul 12, 1945 - Available for disposal, airframe total time: 447:30 hours.
Aug 20, 1946 - Struck from service, to War Assets Corporation for sale.
Purchased by a farmer in Southern Saskatchewan.
1962 - Purchased by Lynn Garrison, Calgary, Alberta and transported to Calgary courtesy of Wolton Lumber.
1962 - date unknown - Both Hurricanes stored disassembled in the back of Hangar 4.
1964 - Air Museum of Canada incorporated. Title of the Hurricane was not transfered to the museum.
1964 - An Air Museum of Canada program states, "They (the museum's two Hurricanes) are to be rebuilt by members of the local Ultra Lite aircraft group for display at a later date." The ultralite group was the Calgary Ultra-Lite Aircraft Association.
1964 to 1966 - Stored inside a small building occupied by 403 'City of Calgary' Squadron and used as their Pilot's Room.
Late 1960s - Aircraft relocated to RCAF Station Lincoln Park where a local Air Cadet Squadron attempts a restoration project, starting with the wood work on the fuselage.
1972 - Aircraft sold by Peter Norman (unauthorized by the owner, Lynn Garrison) to the Calgary Centennial Planetarium Association and placed on display at the Centennial Planetarium.
1988 - Stewardship transfered to the Calgary Aerospace Museum. Planned restoration as LE*A, No. 242 RAF Squadron in honour of Calgarian William "Willy" McKnight. No work accomplished.
1990 - Ownership of the City of Calgary's vintage aircraft collection is challenged in court by Lynn Garrison. The courts rule in favour of the City.
2000 - Placed into offsite storage along with a de Havilland Mosquito and Cessna Crane.
2008 - An offer is made to restore the Hurricane in exchange for ownership of the City's Mosquito.
Jul 15, 2010 - The Hurricane and Mosquito are moved to another City-owned warehouse.
Dec 8, 2010 - Community and Protective Services Committee votes to retain ownership of the Hurricane and Mosquito and to search out a local, volunteer-based organization to assume their stewardship.
Feb 14, 2011 - Calgary City Council votes to retain both the Hurricane and Mosquito and to seek out a volunteer group to oversee their restoration.
Dec 21, 2011 - The City of Calgary awards the restoration of RCAF 5389 to the Calgary Mosquito Society.

Below is a series of pictures I took before the truck took off on its journey north.

1210271.jpg

1210272.jpg

1210273.jpg

1210274.jpg

1210275.jpg

1210276.jpg

1210277.jpg

1210278.jpg

The larger fuel tanks in the below pic actually belong to a Cessna Crane. The smaller one is the Hurricane's fuselage tank.

1210279.jpg

12102710.jpg

12102711.jpg

12102713.jpg

12102714.jpg

12102715.jpg

12102716.jpg

12102717.jpg

12102718.jpg

12102719.jpg

12102720.jpg

12102721.jpg

That I'm not sure if Terry. Being a Mk XII, it would not be a truly accurate portrayal but, interestingly, the museum that it will end up at is located on, you guessed it, McKnight Blvd. named after Willie himself.

Sweet !

I know if I'd been there, I would have had to try out the seat ! :)

I was tempted Gary but I didn't trust the rickety frame the fuselage was sitting on.

Guys, this restoration will be done over a couple of years and I'm not sure how often I'll get up to the shop but if and when I do, I'll be sure to send some updates.

Why aren't they restoring to airworthy? It seems a shame to go 90% of the way there.

Don't get me wrong, it'll be great to see it at least to a static, but sometimes restoring to static can make it harder to make airworthy later on.

Funding, my friend. The aircraft is still owned by the city and the restoration is being funded by tax revenue. Whereas there would have been many buyers to restore it to flying condition, it would have meant the aircraft leaving the city forever, There was a lot of debate abut this as you can imagine but that's how it ended up.

A quick update on this one.

The airframe is still being prepared at a facility 3 hours north of Calgary and we're still locating parts that we thinks are in storage somewhere int he city. The Hurricane's Merlin engine. located at the Bomber Command Museum of Canada in Nanton, Alberta, is next in line for refurbishment now that the museum's Lancaster has all 4 eengines running.

At present, we're trying to locate a parts and maintenance manual for this Hurricane, which is a Mark XII. If anyone knows of a source for one, please let me know.

Today we pulled the Hurricane's Merlin out and brought it over to the door of the engine shop at the Nanton museum. Nanton's Lanc now has all 4 Merlins in running condition and the guys need something to do so they're now going to tackle the Hurricane engine to get it to running condition.

1309071.jpg

1309072.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back