Can someone shed light on this photo? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

<simon>

Airman 1st Class
Jan 24, 2008
Heyfield, Victoria
I has recently found this photo of several troops mounted on horses.
I believe the third one from the right is my Great, Great Uncle, Neil Cameron.

Neil was in an artillery battalion (i think), but that doesnt explain the horses.
Can anyone give me some info regarding this photo?

Location? Other people?

Cheers
Simon

Attachments

• Horsemen.jpg.jpg
    Horsemen.jpg.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 239
G'day Simon, here is some info I found after a quick search regarding your Great Uncle.

Neil Wilson Cameron (occupation- Stock and station agent) enlisted on the 24th of June 1915. He embarked on HMAT Wiltshire in Melbourne on the 18th Nov 1915 as a Gunner in the 11th Battery, 4th Field Artillery Brigade.

As a Bombardier in the 15th Battery, 5th Field Artillery Brigade he was awarded the Military Medal on the 5th Sep 1918. His citation read -
For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on the night 31st August/ 1st September 1918 at Heriecourt near Peroure. This non commissioned officer was in charge of the signal communications of his Battery, the sections of which were acting independently. The positions were heavily shelled throughout the night and the maintenance of the lines extremley difficult and dangerous, but by his untiring efforts and great bravery he maintained communications throughout. He set a splendid example to all ranks.
Signed Major General Charles Rosenthal
Commanding Second Australian Division.

His award was gazetted in London on the 17th June 1919 by which time he had already arrived back in Australia (on the 27th Apr 1919).

HTH

Regarding the Pic, his unit, the 11th Bty, 4th FA Bde, 2nd Div AIF was in Egypt in 1915, the 2nd Div went to France in April 1916, so I'm guessing the pic was taken when he was a Gunner in the 4th somewhere in Egypt.

BTW the place names in the citation weren't clear so no doubt I have spelt them wrong.

My great uncle flew Mosquitos in the UK

Amazing talking to him, apparently the yanks were more likely to shoot at you than the gerries!!

My grandfather was just about to graduate on Spitfires but the war ended (probably just as well!!)
I have my grandfathers Spitfire training manual which is great to read through!!

Very interesting Simon!

Wildcat he was part of the 3rd Communications Squadron. Patchy family opinions on what exactly he did so hence we bit the bullit and bought his records.

Hey Wildcat,

Can't remember what sqn he was in off the top of my head, next time I see I shall ask. His name is Colin Cameron. You seem great at finding info so maybe you could find some about him? Don't fuss over it. I've done a bit of research but most sites seem to have info on people killed in action, not just people who served.
My grandfather though had not finished his pilot training yet and therefore had not been posted to a sqn.

Cheers
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back