CAPTURED AIRCRAFT - ODD PHOTOS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The following picture is from "Classic Colours Nachtjager Vol.2"
He 219  Classic Colours Nachtjager Vol 2 w.Nr. 290126.JPG

He219 w.nr. 290126

Geo

I hate to say it, but I think the first aircraft in the post, an F4U, is actually either an F4U-5 or -5N, which wouldn't have been in use by the FAA to get captured by the Germans. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, as I haven't read all of the posts.

I hate to say it, but I think the first aircraft in the post, an F4U, is actually either an F4U-5 or -5N, which wouldn't have been in use by the FAA to get captured by the Germans. I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, as I haven't read all of the posts.
It was mentioned and as stated it was only a "guess" when posted several years ago.

I hate to say it, but there was a Corsair captured by the Germans:

On 18 July 1944, a British Corsair F4U-1A, JT404 of FAA No. 1841 squadron, was involved in anti-submarine patrol from HMS Formidable enroute to Scapa after Operation Mascot (attack on German Battleship Tirpitz). It flew in company with a Fairey Barracuda flown by with Wing Leader Lieutenant Commander RS Baker-Falkner. Due to technical problems the Corsair made an emergency landing in a field near Bodø, Norway. The pilot, Lt Mattholie was taken prisoner and the aircraft captured with no damage. Luftwaffe interrogators failed into getting the pilot to explain how to fold the wings so as to transport the aircraft to Narvik. The Corsair was ferried by boat for further investigation. Later the Corsair was taken to Germany, it was listed at Rechlin for 1944 under repair. This was probably the only Corsair captured by the Germans.
Three were even three captured by the Japanese during the course of the war, and there's a couple photos of those that still exist. There doesn't seem to be any photos of the above-mentioned Corsair in German possesion, however.

And not a single captured P-39 Air Cobra ... the Germans must have captured some from either the Russians or the US in the MTO.

Were they that undesirable ... :) . The Finns captured some but never but them in any kind of service .... why?

MM

the Germans must have captured some from either the Russians or the US in the MTO.

The germans did capture a P-39 or two in North Africa but were unable to transport them back to Germany. The Finns captured some Soviet P-39s from memory but unsure of what became of them.
Same question could be asked of the Beaufighter. The Italians captured at least one and I have only seen one pic of a LW marked Beau but no info about how, why or when.

Food for thought,

David.

I found this right here on the site. I'm guessing it's an Italian (tri-motor) but have no clue what airplane it is.

Charles

Attachments

• captured.jpg
    captured.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 399

Users who are viewing this thread

Back