Captured Aircrafts: Germany (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Friends, thanks for all this pictures. Do you know if The Fairey Battle was having the german cross and swastika? Thanks
Francesco - Italy

No it didn't.
I have a photo with that Battle visible in the background taken in a hangar at Rechlin. It doesn't look flyable,not least because the wings are removed,and it still carries its original RAF markings.
I'm not sure of its ultimate fate but it probably ended up being recycled,melted down as we used to say.

Edit:
Here you go. The Battle is at the end of the line. This image was originally published in "Der Adler".

Scanb1.gif

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
The UT-1 was designed as a single-seater advanced trainer and aerobatic airplane by the team led by Alexander Sergeevich Yakovlev. The first prototype, designated the AIR-14, was flown in early 1936. The AIR-14 was a small low-winged monoplane with a fixed tailwheel undercarriage, with a welded steel fuselage and a wooden wing. After some changes, the AIR-14 was accepted for production. Among other improvements, the 75 kW (100 hp) Shvetsov M-11 radial was changed to the more powerful 86 kW (115 hp) M-11G. The plane received the designation UT-1, primary/advanced trainer); despite this designation, it was not suitable for primary training.

The UT-1 was used as a transitional type between the UT-2 and fighters like the I-16. It was not easy to fly, requiring precise piloting, thus forming an ideal intermediate between basic trainers and the maneuverable but tricky to fly I-16. In 1939 the plane was modified by moving the engine 26 cm (10 in) forward, which improved its handling. During production, the 112 kW (150 hp) M-11E engine was also used. Soviet pilots broke several records on the UT-1 before the war, some on its floatplane variant. In total, 1,241 aircraft were built between December 1936 and 1940.

During World War II, from 1941, the UT-1 was also used for reconnaissance. Some were used as improvised combat machines, after fitting with underwing machine guns or even 2 unguided rockets. In February 1942, about 50 UT-1 were converted in workshops as improvised ground attack planes UT-1B (УТ-1б), fitted with two machineguns and 2-4 rockets. They were next used in the Black Sea Fleet aviation in Sevastopol and Caucasus. The survivors were disarmed in December 1942.

Attachments

• Yakovlev UT-1.jpg
    Yakovlev UT-1.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 321
A long with Germany, Great Britain and the USA, in the mid-1930s the Soviet Union saw the need to develop a multi-purpose tactical bomber. The resulting Su-2 never achieved the air superiority enjoyed by the Germans and suffered terrible losses at the hands of Messerschmitt Bf 109 and Focke-Wulf 190 fighters. These losses resulted in the Su-2's premature relegation to second-line tasks in 1942. Pavel Osipovich Sukhoi was undoubtedly one of the greatest Soviet aircraft designers of all time. However, his first design to see combat the Su-2, suffered greatly at the hands of German fighters in 1941 and 1942.

Developed from the ANT-51, the first production Su-2 (then designated BB-1) flew in April 1940 and by September 1941, five aircraft were being produced every day. With its two-man crew, cockpit armour and robust, mainly wooden construction, the aircraft was initially successful, carrying out short-range bombing, reconnaissance and artillery-spotting missions in the first weeks of the German invasion. However, once the Su-2 encountered the Bf 109 fighters, losses rapidly began to mount. Desperate fighting in 1942, when some Su-2s were converted into makeshift fighters, resulted in severe attrition rates. By the end of the year, the surviving Su-2s had been withdrawn and assigned to second-line duties. Throughout the Su-2's service life, a number of different variants were produced, including a version carrying eight unguided rockets and the more powerful Su-4 with an M-82 engine.

Attachments

• Soukhoi Su-2 (Alemania).jpg
    Soukhoi Su-2 (Alemania).jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 315
I hope you don't mind if I share a few captured aircraft with German markings. I came across these on foreign language websites but I thought they would fit here.

Attachments

• x_af3f86ea.jpg
    x_af3f86ea.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 329
  • 2e7c55e69fcc.jpg
    2e7c55e69fcc.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 312
  • 1233948.jpg
    1233948.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 37-2.jpg
    37-2.jpg