Cars named after (or same as) WW2 and 1950s aircraft? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Besides, the P-51s were purchased by the U.S. government. The planes belonged to them and its not like an image of a warplane should ever become a trademark.

North American built a number of iconic aircraft. Which one would be a trademark?

North American Aviation (NAA) was a major American aerospace manufacturer, responsible for a number of historic aircraft, including the T-6 Texan trainer, the P-51 Mustang fighter, the B-25 Mitchell bomber, the F-86 Sabre jet fighter, the X-15 rocket plane, and the XB-70, as well as Apollo Command and Service Module, the second stage of the Saturn V rocket, the Space Shuttle orbiter and the B-1 Lancer.
Well, actually, some companies retain trademarks on file:

Note that this very forum uses an image of a P-51 in its banner, almost certainly without paying any royalties.
That's where it can get weird:
If Tamiya wants to release a 1/32 scale kit for resale, it has to be run through the legal department.

If ww2aircraft uses a likeness in artwork form, that should pass muster, since the likeness is not being used in a commercial venture.

Another example: if I create a Star Wars Stormtrooper helmet for personal use (display or costuming), that's fine.
If I manufacture said helmet for sale without Lucasfilm or Disney's approval, their lawyers will fall on me like a sack of hammers.

If ww2aircraft uses a likeness in artwork form, that should pass muster, since the likeness is not being used in a commercial venture.

And even that isn't a complete shield. For instance, if (shudder) this site was populated by vocal white supremacists, Boeing would have every right to issue a cease-and-desist based on its intellectual property being associated with reprehensible views.

Even though the P-51 was purchased by the govt, NAA was well within its rights to have an image of it trademarked. Hell, I could take an image of the P-51 and use it as a trademark so long as it doesn't infringe on NAA intellectual property -- which is different from their design patents etc.

Again, that could be argued in court on an informal basis, especially because we so identify the Mustang with NAA in common culture, moreso than any other of the great planes and craft you've listed. NAA would still be hard-put without marca registrada to have a solid case.

So far as I can tell, the image or likeness of the P-51 doesn't belong to anyone legally.
Many other people identify the Mustang with the maverick untamed wild horse in common culture.

Of course. But we're talking about legalities here, not public perception.
Where did the word "Mustang" come from?

These ancestors were Spanish horses brought to North America by explorers during the 1500s. The cowboys who caught and sold mustangs during the 18th and 19 centuries were known as mustangers. The word mustang comes from the Spanish mestengo, "wild, stray, or having no master.

Where did the word "Mustang" come from?

These ancestors were Spanish horses brought to North America by explorers during the 1500s. The cowboys who caught and sold mustangs during the 18th and 19 centuries were known as mustangers. The word mustang comes from the Spanish mestengo, "wild, stray, or having no master.

Who owns the marca registrada for an airplane shaped like a Mustang?

You're ignoring completely the point, so I won't be interacting with you any more. I'll suggest you look up intellectual property, but doubt you'll actually do that as you seem to be deliberately ignoring the point already.

*plonk*

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back