Cars that I'd.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I still miss my old 79 280ZX. Not my own pic, but looks like it down to the rims:

25603539-1979-datsun-280zx-thumb.jpg

Sold it in 1993, regret it, and hope to get another. A great roadster, with a sensitive throttle that could push through a curve, and then let up and the back end falls back into place for high throttle.

I have to say the early Saabs and Volvos were some nice looking cars but I am a Jaguar guy.
Oh yes - Jaguar - great looking cars. My favorite would be the Mark-II
Some lucky Bobbies even got to drive them as police cars - actually I find the BMW 502 to be quite similar, even though not es exquisite and sporty as the Mark II

Attachments

• Jaguar-Mark-II.jpg
    Jaguar-Mark-II.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 14
  • BMW 502.jpg
    BMW 502.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 16
I had a supervisor whose wife had a 260Z bought new when they lived in upstate New York. My boss said his wife was complaining that there was shimmy at about 130 mph and rebalancing tires did nothing to solve. She would not let him drive it but since I had old cars, she allowed us to look underneath. The front end/engine support rails which attach to the floor pan were almost rusted through on the right side. Upstate New York uses lots of road salt if snow is forecast. I had seen bumpers rusted through on training trips in the 1070s-80s. The Z was retired.

I had a supervisor whose wife had a 260Z bought new when they lived in upstate New York. My boss said his wife was complaining that there was shimmy at about 130 mph and rebalancing tires did nothing to solve. She would not let him drive it but since I had old cars, she allowed us to look underneath. The front end/engine support rails which attach to the floor pan were almost rusted through on the right side. Upstate New York uses lots of road salt if snow is forecast. I had seen bumpers rusted through on training trips in the 1070s-80s. The Z was retired.

Mine had shimmy above 110 mph as well. I figured it was the previous owner not taking care of the suspension, and also the thought that the long hood might be providing lift and reducing steering command. I topped it at 115 mph on I-35 and the flutter had me backing off the throttle, but in fifth gear at that speed I still had about 1000 rpm before redline, so I reckon it could have hit 130 in a pinch. Definitely heavier than a 260 and so top end probably lower.

I bought mine used in Texas and so salt-wear wasn't an issue.

A friend recently had shimmy and a weird rattle for about ten seconds on a ten year old Ford Falcon (Aus model) followed almost instantly by a hard right swerve into the approaching light traffic. Fortunately the other cars dodged him. The front right suspension and a lump os frame had separated from the rest of the frame due to corrosion. Obviously the previous owner had either had it on a beach or, more likely, had it partially submerged in the 2013 floods.

In NYC it meant Break My Window,,, In Florida it means Bring My Wallet
I think it actually stands for Beyond Magical Wonders;)

BTW did my favorite BMW the 3.0 CLS ever participate in those US races - like Indi. or etc.?

Attachments

• 1972-BMW-3.0-CSL.jpg
    1972-BMW-3.0-CSL.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 15
hmm...67 Firebird Sprint, wouldn't mind taking that coupe for a spin - are spare parts accessible?

My favorite would still be the Porsche 928 GTS, but maintenance and spares are $ wise just too much of a burden, so I will stick to my 1973 BMW 2002Tii
The 928 was kind of a misfire by Porsche and I'm not sure it has established a rabid following. Now the 2002tii is another story and is a classic although a pre '73 would probably be more desirable.

I still miss my old 79 280ZX. Not my own pic, but looks like it down to the rims:

View attachment 669502

Sold it in 1993, regret it, and hope to get another. A great roadster, with a sensitive throttle that could push through a curve, and then let up and the back end falls back into place for high throttle.
The pure 240Z will be the classic, later models got bigger, heavier, plusher.

My favorites, too many to list here's a few
'62 vette. My brother bought one right before being drafted and had to return it. Fell in love with in and wanted one all my life. Never could afford one.
Early Alfa Romero GTV
'69 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe (mini Ferrari)
'67 Nova SS350
'65-'67 GTO
etc
etc
'64 Valiant 2dr sedan, 225 engine auto. The first car I actually selected. Loved that car, almost cried when they took the car in trade in for a '67 Malibu 2dr HT (good car too!)
Presently I own a 2019 Genesis G70 designed by the same engineer for the BMW M class. 365 hp twin turbo engine, 0-60 in 4.5 sec, quarter mile 13.1 sec. (per car and driver) for about 10k less than an M class. Fun car.

The 928 was kind of a misfire by Porsche and I'm not sure it has established a rabid following. Now the 2002tii is another story and is a classic although a pre '73 would probably be more desirable.
The 928 came at a time when the vast majority of people or Porsche fans were still into the 911 being the "only" Porsche. The Panamera has been, is a huge success - more or less a 928
with four doors.
I think the majority of BMW 02 fans prefer the pre 1973 models due to it's round back-lights. But to me I prefer the squared ones - so I am fine:)

The 928 came at a time when the vast majority of people or Porsche fans were still into the 911 being the "only" Porsche. The Panamera has been, is a huge success - more or less a 928
with four doors.
I think the majority of BMW 02 fans prefer the pre 1973 models due to it's round back-lights. But to me I prefer the squared ones - so I am fine:)
73 started the big safety and emission requirements which lowered engine performance and affected looks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back