CF-18A Hornet of 410 "Cougars" Squadron, Cold Lake Alberta

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
Name: Andy
Category 1 Advanced
Model: CF-18A Hornet
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: Monogram
Aftermarket add ons: Leading Edge Decals, definitely some scratch building, possibly some resin parts if I get pi$$ed off.

With judge's permission, I propose to enter the Cold War GB with a CF-18A (more properly but rarely called the CF-188A). Canada was the first export customer for the Hornet, replacing the CF-104 Starfighter (air reconnaissance strike), the CF-101 Voodoo (air interception) and the CF-116 Freedom Fighter (ground attack) with deliveries commencing in 1982. CF-18s out of 4 Wing in Cold Lake Alberta have participated in a number of intercepts of Russian aircraft approaching Canadian airspace, most recently in September of 2007 during President Obama's first visit to Canada (see photo).

The aircraft I'll depict is a CF-18A of 410 Squadron 'Cougars' flown by Cptn "Chirp" Moore with special demo paint as seen in 1993 (Profile below). With thanks to Wiki: 410 Cougar Squadron began at Ayr, Scotland, on June 30, 1941 as a night-fighter unit involved in the defence of Great Britain flying single-engined Defiants.The squadron later converted to Beaufighters and then Mosquitos. In September 1944, with 51 estimated kills, the Squadron moved to Flisy, near Amiens, and remained in France until the spring of 1945. Their last wartime move was to Gilzen-Rijen in the Netherlands where it remained until the end of hostilities.

Reformed in December 1948 at St. Hubert, Que., 410 became the first fighter squadron in the post-war regular force. Flying Vampires in a day-interceptor role, the Squadron was part of the RCAF's Air Defence Group. 410 was the first RCAF Squadron to receive F-86 Sabres shortly before moving to North Luffenham, England, in November 1951. 410 also became Canada's first day-fighter Squadron to participate in the NATO alliance.

In November 1954, the Squadron moved to Baden-Soellingen, Germany, then on to Marville, France, in early 1955 and was disbanded in October 1956. Reformed again in November 1956, at Uplands Airport, Ottawa, the Squadron was equipped with the CF-100 Canuck. In 1962, the Squadron converted to the CF-101 Voodoo and continued to operate in the defence of North America until March 31, 1964 when it was disbanded. In April 1968, 3 All-Weather Operational Training Unit of CFB Bagotville was re-designated as 410 All-Weather Operational Training Squadron. The Squadron was responsible for the training of aircrew for the other interceptor Squadrons of Air Defence Group. The Squadron also ran an annual Air Weapons Instructor's course for CF-101 crews.

In May 1980, the CF-18 Hornet was selected as Canada's new fighter Aircraft. This resulted in the end of the CF-101 Voodoo training program in May 1982. The Squadron was reformed one month later at CFB Cold Lake under its present name. 410 Squadron was tasked to develop a training syllabus and instruct all Canadian Forces Aircrew on the CF-18 Aircraft in both air-to-air and air-to-surface roles. The first two CF-18 arrived at 410 Squadron on October 31, 1982 and it received two more per month until the 138th Aircraft was delivered September 28, 1988. With the recent reduction in size of the remaining operational squadrons, 410 Squadron now trains approximately 20 fighter pilots annually.

The kit is an ancient one from Monogram that I purchased in 1992, dabbled with a bit, and then relegated to a dusty shelf in may basement ever since (see photos). The cockpit was started but will be dismantled and redone but that's all the work that's been done. The kit has fine but raised panel lines that will likely need to be completely scribed after sanding to make up for the poor fits that are anticipated. I expect a lot of mods to this kit to convert it from a US to Canadian Hornet and then also to enhance details which are not up to snuff.

Attachments

• 450_TU95_090227.jpg
    450_TU95_090227.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 234
  • CF-18A Profile.gif
    CF-18A Profile.gif
    23.7 KB · Views: 365
  • 100507 Box Top.jpg
    100507 Box Top.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 100507 Contents.jpg
    100507 Contents.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 230
Interesting one Andy, and the 'High Tech' label on the box made me smile! 'High Tech' back in 1992 was something fairly new, but how it compares to today's offerings could be a different matter!
As for it's elligibility for the 'Cold War', technically, with the 1993 paint scheme, it's outside of the time period. However, I'll leave a decision to the other judges and members.

No problem if it's not a GB entry - just shove it into Start to Finish instead.

OK, let's see what ther general opinion is first though! Just trying to keep the entries in line with what would be considered typical Cold War hardware, otherwise we could end up with a General Group Build!

sounds like a bit of a task there andy but i'm looking forward to seeing how you go with this one!cheers

Yes development of the F-18 was within the time period of the Cold War but its introduction was well after the date set here. I'm not the type of person that wants to cry foul or point fingers but i think we need to have some kind of boundary to all GB's and stick to it.

Either way I am looking forward to seeing this one built but I think its going to be a stretch to fit in on this GB as described?

I like your choice Andy, but judging from comments, it's looking like your build may have to be on the sidelines, which is a shame as it's a great aircraft. I've done a couple of Hasegawa kit's myself a few years back, both for the 75th Anniversary of the Royal Australian and Canadian Air Force.

Last edited:
No problem guys. Mods, please remove this from the Cold War GB and place into Start to Finish Builds.

Judges, suggest you clarify time period as I read somewhere that it was up to 1990. Whereas I do admit my paint scheme is 1993 so outside this period, Dirk's statement that the CF-18s "introduction was well after the date set here" is not true if 1990 is the boundary.

Karl, yes I believe that Jetstream was centred around 410 Sqdn. Great show by the way if anyone can can catch it.

No probs Andy. I see the 'true' cold war as starting at the time of the Berlin blockade and the airlift, in 1948, and ending with the fall of Communism, in general, in Europe, particularly in the former Soviet Union. The latter is normally regarded as following the fall of the Berlin Wall, so 1948 to 1990.
For general guidance for all, see the comments in the Cold War thread, regarding individual conflicts, and the accepted territorial areas and protagonists.

Andy, please don't misunderstand my comments. :oops: I meant no offence but my reference to being past the "Boundary" was in response to the dates I saw set in one of these threads (Can't find it right now)somewhere and the date if I recall correctly was the late 80's. This sticks out in my mind because the cold war infact went into the early 90's.

Please understand that I'm not against your selection I was just commenting on the ongoing debate of what should and shouldn't be included. If a line (date) is going to be drawn in the sand then we should to stick to it. If not then we loose site of the GB and like Terry said will end up with a General GB instead of a themed GB.

No sweat Dirk. I was just pointing out that if the end of the GB period was late 80's or early 90's then I don't get why the F-18 shouldn't qualify. It began service in the US in 1978 and with the Canadian airforce in 1982.

No worries anyway. I'm not ticked, just feel more clarity is warranted.

No sweat Dirk. I was just pointing out that if the end of the GB period was late 80's or early 90's then I don't get why the F-18 shouldn't qualify. It began service in the US in 1978 and with the Canadian airforce in 1982.

No worries anyway. I'm not ticked, just feel more clarity is warranted.
maybe the fact its being painted in a scheme from the mid 90's

I was talking about Dirk's comment about the plane, not the paint scheme. he said " development of the F-18 was within the time period of the Cold War but its introduction was well after the date set here."

I was talking about Dirk's comment about the plane, not the paint scheme. he said " development of the F-18 was within the time period of the Cold War but its introduction was well after the date set here."
for sure your correct

Users who are viewing this thread

Back