CHEESE (with a little Wine and Beer thrown in)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My all time favorites...

Gouda
Bergkäse
Edamer
Buffalo mozzarella
Appenzeller
Gruyère
Emmental
Emmentaler
Gorgonzola
Camembert
Limburger
Kefalotyri
Anari
Ossau-Iraty
Parmigiano-Reggiano
Provolone
Muenster
Danbo
Kashkaval
Halloumi
Beaufort
Cheddar
Colby-Jack
Trappista
Feta
Kefalotyri
Tilsiter cheese
Blue Cheese (Various kinds especially Roquefort)
Havarti
Hirtenkäse
Rauchkäse

I plain love cheese! Me and my wife regular make a nice cheese platter and drink a few glasses of wine with the cheese. Whenever we get together with friends as well there is always a nice cheese platter.

I have a really nice store here around the corner that only sell's cheese. They have literally hundreds of different kinds of cheese to choose from.

Oh yeah, that's deadly! I'm oiff to dinner in about 20 minutes. That's my appetizer. Good call Matt!

Called Tomato Salad over here in Pa. Not sure about your neck of the woods.

Caprese Salad, my fine dining friend. Caprese Salad.

Mozzarella. Check. Fresh basil leaves. Check. Crappy hot house tomatoes wanting desperately to be the heirlooms they look up to in admiration. Check. French sea salt. Check. Whole peppercorns in a Turkish coffee grinder. Check. Obnoxiously expensive extra virgin olive oil. Check. And a splash of balsamic vinegar. Check. My wife a little inebriated and randy. My wife a little inebriated and randy? Hello…

Caprese Salad, my fine dining friend. Caprese Salad.

Mozzarella. Check. Fresh basil leaves. Check. Crappy hot house tomatoes wanting desperately to be the heirlooms they look up to in admiration. Check. French sea salt. Check. Whole peppercorns in a Turkish coffee grinder. Check. Obnoxiously expensive extra virgin olive oil. Check. And a splash of balsamic vinegar. Check. My wife a little inebriated and randy. My wife a little inebriated and randy? Hello…

Yes I love a good Caprese Salad! Absolutely amazing!

Heirlooms tomato that ugly looking thing, I hate them they have the shelf life of refrigerated Basil . Its really hard to get heirlooms of any quality at least here , by the time they get to the end user if stored correctly the chefs don't like em to work with. I work for a fair sized produce wholesaler/retailer so I have a grasp of the produce business .

Heirlooms tomato that ugly looking thing, I hate them they have the shelf life of refrigerated Basil . Its really hard to get heirlooms of any quality at least here , by the time they get to the end user if stored correctly the chefs don't like em to work with. I work for a fair sized produce wholesaler/retailer so I have a grasp of the produce business .

Really... there is a place where tomatoes are worse than in the pacific northwest?!? :shock:

I think that having lived in Alabama I got spoiled. Even the worst tomatoes in Alabama were better than the best tomatoes in Washington state.

Heirlooms suck

Matt oh yes there is plenty of time for a good cold Bier or glas of wine ..... clear your mind man

ok I'm outta here, time to counsel another couple ......yee-haw

Really... there is a place where tomatoes are worse than in the pacific northwest?!? :shock:

I think that having lived in Alabama I got spoiled. Even the worst tomatoes in Alabama were better than the best tomatoes in Washington state.
Getting a heirloom from the plant to the end user is the tough part , other then that tomatos do thrive well here I think Toronto and the Golden Horseshoe has the largest Italian community outside Italy and if we didn't have good tomatoes they'd leave:lol:

Back from Dinner. No Caprese Salad Matt, so I went with a Ceaser with a smattering of Asiago (very sharp) on top. Main course was Chicken Cordon Bleu. Dessert was Dark Chocolate Tort cake but I stayed out of it. Dark Chocolate and Beer are just not a good mix. Have nasty dreams all night long. And given the option, I'd rather have another beer.

Good meal though. Now the little one (3 yr old) screaming she doesn't want to go to bed and wifey wife is looking beat. I'm off. Good night to all, tomorrow is another cheesy day!

Sorry to hear you had a rough one Erich. If cheese is not available, there is always Vino>

Tim, haven't been to Reading Market in awhile. I have to go VERY soon.

Inderstand about the Cream Cheese. I have the same afliction for scrapple. (lets see who knows what the 'ell that is! :))

Favorite cheese concoction: I grab a few Doritos, cut a hunk of Colby-jack on it and slightly smother with BBQ sauce (I prefer Hunts but whatever) and snack away. A good beer, this mess and a war movie and I'm in heaven.

Outside of a nice blue cheese, the stronger the better, slices of wasabi cheese on thin crisp biscuits spread with a smear of salted butter and a touch of vegemite. Chuck in a couple of pickles and a nice chilled crisp Chardonnay and were cooking.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

So far, muenster is my fav of the "real" cheeses. Can't say that I've experimented with many others, though. Wife and I are planning a trip to visit my brother and his financee in Italy next year, so my culinary experiences are about to be blown wide open. For local American cheeses, I really dig a good Colby-Jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back