CIA participation in the South American coups (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jenisch

Staff Sergeant
Oct 31, 2011
Hello,

The main motivation for the CIA help to install dictatorships in South America, was get rid of the possibility of "new Cubas". While just this interest was fair, and in fact the CIA tried to achive this objective by conventional means, like financing Right Wing parties, in your views there wasn't other solution rather than support the opressive dictatorships?

I can see no good from this but we'll see.
I'll give it a try. The question should have been phrased differently as CIA-financed coups aren't always just about the overthrow of oppressive left-wing dictatorships. The alternative to those covert operations is an overt operation like the one we saw against the right-wing dictatorship in Iraq. Otherwise, when we go CIA, we do so primarily to achieve a degree of plausible deniability for our involvement. That's how I see it, anyway. Hope that helps answer the question.

I understand what you're saying and this is posted in the Misc/Off Topic area but this is sooooo close to having political overtones, it may not wash here on the forum.

Granted, we like military planes.

Military planes are used in wars.

Wars generally are the outcome of political decisions.

But it should be just left at that. This topic I can see going far too into politics and far too into opinions. Thats why I'm apprehensive about this topic.

"... The main motivation for the CIA help to install dictatorships in South America, was get rid of the possibility of "new Cubas"....

Actually, Jenisch, long, long BEFORE Fidel Castro an eminent American politician speaking on the topic of South/Central Americans dictators was known to have said:

"He may be a right-wing dictator, but he's our right wing dictator". I think fruit companies have shaped US politics in the region far more than the CIA.

MM

I understand what you're saying and this is posted in the Misc/Off Topic area but this is sooooo close to having political overtones, it may not wash here on the forum.

Granted, we like military planes.

Military planes are used in wars.

Wars generally are the outcome of political decisions.

But it should be just left at that. This topic I can see going far too into politics and far too into opinions. Thats why I'm apprehensive about this topic.
I know. Sorry about that. It's hard to answer around the politics in a question like this.

Let me chime in. The CIA ****** up big time. It delayed the inevitable. And we are paying the price for it.

So says me; an informed voter from the 70's - 90's. I no longer subscribe to any ideology.

Njaco and others,

FWIW, my barber had three rules relating to conversations in his barber shop: (1) no politics, (2) no women, (3) no religion. You could converse about anything else but those. Orlando was from the "old country," and he spoke "broken-English," and he was one of the nicest guy you'd ever meet.

But you broke one of his rules and continued on after a warning and you'd be lucky if you left there with both your ears still attached to your head. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back