Cold War Movies - "The Day After" vs "Threads"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
If you grew up in the early 80's, you would know about these two films. What did you think of them?

I'm beginning to believe that "Threads" is as good as "All Quiet on the Western Front" for being a no holds barred look at war.

Wildcat, "Threads" is on youtube. Watch some time and let me know what you think. It makes the "Day After" look tame. "Threads" is about what happens in an urban area. "Day After" was mostly the aftermath in a rural area.

Last edited:
Don't recognise either of them, unless one of them was set in a town in the north of England? If so, I've been wanting to know the title for years!

Never saw Threads, but am definitely interested and will watch on Utube. I remember the day after was a TV movie here in the states, but when I went to Spain it was in the theaters as a major motion picture. What a difference the pond makes huh?

I watched it over the weekend. For those who grew up in the '70s it is truly haunting. Still bothering me. [Note not up to today's production standards, but chilling in a nuclear winter sense] Definitely worth watching.

Matt, the one thing that "the Day After" didn't portray at all was the thermal pulse and firestorms after the detonations. I thought it was freaky seeing that boy in the garden get burned to the skull from those effects.

Matt, the one thing that "the Day After" didn't portray at all was the thermal pulse and firestorms after the detonations. I thought it was freaky seeing that boy in the garden get burned to the skull from those effects.

It's been 30yrs since the day after. I don't remember much. But threads was haunting. And VERY flawed. The EMP effects are chilling. Especially in today's society. The nuclear winter stuff is overblown... like anthropomorphic global warming. Sagan was not a God.

I saw "The Day After" on it's debut. I was 14 at the time and I remember having nightmares for a month or so afterwards. I just recently watched "Threads" and all I have to say is thank god I didn't see it when it came out. MUCH more raw and real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back