Collings Foundation TF-51D

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jimh

Senior Airman
Feb 6, 2009
Ohio
community.webshots.com
The Collings Foundation is about to launch it's rebuilt TF-51D. The project is taking on the identity of TF-51D Toulouse Nuts. We have the original cowling featuring the name. What we don't have is the art work on the accessory cowling. It features two nuts...seems simple. BUT there is no clear photo. We are doing our best to keep it as accurate as possible. We are offering dual in Toulouse Nuts, once it joins the Wings of Freedom tour on a between city flight. The conditions...we need a clear photo of the artwork. We have 3 books published by Jack Smith on the 167th ANG...and 3 photos of 655...but no clear shots of the noseart. I have attached the best photo we have. Please email me at [email protected]

Best,

Jim Harley

dlAttach_zpsjwajhwiq.jpg

DSC_0501_zpskxqygdzz.jpg

IMG_5266_zpsstk4fuva.jpg

No worries Airframes! Looking forward to seeing what you can find Geo...so far we have found only 3 photos of her. Thanks again!

Jim

I think the wood floorboard is fun to make and finish. You can take pity on the guys and use a dull or semi-gloss finish with maybe some sand in it so they don't slip, or you can laugh and finish it perfectly, complete with wax and watch as they fall down in the cockpit. If you laugh, they'll know it was you. Sleep awake that night.

We used a semi-gloss and made it a bit non-slip for Miss Velma (now in the UK).

For the gun ports, a lot of people go to a five and dime store and get very small stainless steel bowls. They fit right in the port when cut and you drill a hole in the bottom for the gun barrels. Looks very authentic ... and doesn't rust quickly since it is cheapo stainless. I've sen those on maybe 10 P-51s.

Good luck! As said above, looks good so far.

Thanks Greg! I am pretty sure Ashley is putting in the varnished floor boards. The cockpit is painted green, and is fairly stock. We asked our pilot pool what they would like to see incorporated into this restoration that would be an improvement on Betty Jane. It boiled down to mostly switch positions. We really like the light colored floor, GPS on the top left side of the panel, engine coolant temp. and pressure gauges, fuel flow gauge, and few other things that have been brought to the new Mustang from Betty Jane.

Future plans include a baggage door and guns and dummy ammo in the wings. It's going to be a fun machine that's for sure!

Jim

Just a thought. I don't know if you're familiar with www.scribd.com. A brazillion books, documents etc. I just typed in "Air National Guard" into the search box and 381,551 documents popped up...Documents matching "Air National Guard" | Scribd. It's getting harder to read now as they want you to become a paying member. If you hold your cursor over a document, the holder of the document is shown. For starters, look for "CAP History Library", this opens up all the documents he has. A very large selection of US aviation history.

Geo

Thanks Geo, I'll give that a try! TF's were pretty unique back then...it amazes me that more shutterbugs didn't capture this one more. The Indiana ANG TF sure got a lot of attention. This one, not so much. Again thanks for all the effort. Remember the end reward...it will be worth it!

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back