Collins -262 Crash, No Injuries

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

UPDATE (2:19 p.m.): The jet is registered to the Collings Foundation in Massachusetts, according to a Midland news release. The foundation's executive director, Rob Collings, said there was no crash. Instead, the canopy over the passenger was improperly secured and came off during takeoff, which the pilot aborted. Collings said the jet never left the runway and there was no damage. The plane should be able to take off again. It had stopped for fuel en route to Houston from Tuscon, where it was traveling for an exhibition.

UPDATE: Jet owner says no "crash," rather an aborted take-off; no damage - Odessa American: Local News

Phew! Thank Heavens that a) no crash, and b) no injuries!
I'd just 'clicked' on the other thread, to view Jim's photos, when I spotted this. Good to know it was a case of normal, media accuracy in reporting ....

Good to hear that everything is okay, Jim. I figured if anyone would have the info, you would have the first-hand info. Once again, the press blew things out of proportion.

Most press writers seem to be failed novelists... thank God the aircraft and crew are in one piece!

Not really a crash then, thankfully.
A very similar scare happened recently in the UK with the Rolls Royce Spitfire at East Midlands Airport.
Cheers
Steve

If nothing else, then possibly a lesson learned, by ensuring rear-seat passengers, aircrew or otherwise, are fully briefed.
NOTE: I am not saying that this doesn't happen, but a simple inclusion in the pre-flight briefing will ensure the passenger knows how to operate, lock and check any canopy latching system, even if it is a common sense thing.
A simple error caused the landing gear of the Grace Spitfire to retract, after landing, a few years back, when the rear seat passenger, having been briefed to move his/her legs out of the way of the rudder pedals for landing, caught the undercarriage lever with their right knee. This was later rectified, by the addition of a safety feature I believe.

here is a shot taken a few minutes after the abort...

262maf_zpsa1e8df80.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back