Combat Sims

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That game title rings me a bell... Isn't it a relatively old game (mid 90s) using 5 CDs ?

I remember one of my friend brought it at my home when I was still in elementary school. Unfortunately, my computer wasn't fast enough to play the game. (It was an old PC 100 MHz.)

The original Silent Hunter is fairly old, but I can't remember the exact year it came out. Silent Hunter III just came out within the last few months.

You've gotta remember though, the storage capacity of CD's is increasing all the time.
I wish the same could be said for my computer. :(

Soon. Soon!! [-o<

But then again, all the capacity in the world won't let you play a DVD without a DVD drive. ](*,)

Yep, you guessed it. It's a DVD game!
Note to self: Read the packaging thoroughly before buying the game! #-o

But on an optimistic note, this will be all the reason I need to buy a DVD drive next pay day. :evil4:

Maestro said:
EH ? :shock:

They're working on the "Reverse mode" or what ? Genarally, a game get bigger (so it use more CDs), not the opposite. :lol:

The last submarine sim I played was Dasboot. It didn't really got me hooked, though.

Data compression is way better today than it was back in the early/mid 90's. Also, the amount of code needed to do graphics is lower because the 3D cards do so much that used to have to be done in software. Furthermore the graphics APIs, such as DirectX/D3D or Glide do a huge amount of the work that used to have to be done within the game program.

These things all add up to it requiring fewer CD's to do a modern game.

=S=

Lunatic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back