Corsair fans?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wily

Airman
May 23, 2009
Good morning!

I'm new here and 99.9% of ya'll don't know me. But, suffice it to state, I interview combat pilots and draw their airplanes.

I've been working on a presentation to the Naval Air Museum and have posted a graphical version of it online. Maybe you'll be interested in this...

Find it here:
http://www.johnmollison.com

Look for the big yellow arrow and click there.

Producing this particular "e-chapter" has been a collaborative experience involving people from all over the country, especially the featured pilot and his family. If you've read any of my other e-chapters, you'll be familiar with the style and scope.

My hope is that you find it worth your time. And if you know a Marine, would you mind forwarding it onto them? I've learned much about the "Semper Fi" culture and understand their deeply rooted sense of Family.

Best regards,

John Mollison
www.johnmollison.com
[email protected]

Hi John, that was absolutely outstanding, and I love the style you did it in, much better then the boring ones I've seen a little too much of.

I do have a few minor comments in regards to slide 5.

Both the P-51 P-47 were produced in great quantities ( 15,586 15,660 respectively). The production run on the P-47D model alone was 12,602. Combat Aircraft of Word War II by Bookthrift

The Corsair's in USN Marine service in WW2 (from the NACA) dropped 7,703k tons of bombs and fired 38,868 rockets and at 60lbs each only comes to an additional 1,166k tons of ordnance for a grand total of 8,869k tons. Where did the 16,000k tons from?

Again, outstanding job!

Hey Viking!

I'm going to go back and dig through my source to find out where I got the 16,000 tons - I started research on this thing in October and the details from that particular page were pecked through then.

Are there are any online references to your numbers?

Clearly, there's a HUGE difference between our figures and I must move quickly to get the facts straight.

Thank you for the fact-check!!!! :)

Viking -

EASY!

http://www.history.navy.mil/download/nasc.pdf

Go to page 22. After reading the numbers, I rounded up from a high 15K ton mark.

But, adding up other numbers, maybe I undershot it? I'll check later, but wanted to give you the source as fast as I could considering that the traffic on my site is ticking like spastic stopwatch.

If something needs to be corrected, let's get at it NOW! :)

Wily/John,

I've just finished going thru your wonderful account of Capt. James' Corsair adventures and want you to know how much I enjoyed and appreciated it. The warmth, humor and respect you bring to the story really add a rare and special quality to your history of this admirable man. And the illustration is 'pretty good', too :D

A great job in every respect, and I'm sure that everyone here will agree with me when I say, "Bravo,sir!"

Thanks again, and a merry Christmas to you and yours,

JL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back