The instruction that I referred to in my previous posting was specifically for the Me109G so yes I do believe that the problem existed in the 109G.Of course any aircraft then or now that exceeds its design limits is in danger of structural failure, that is obvious.
The difference here is that the German authorities had to issue a reminder to all German units that started
Then read again and look at the date. It`s been issued after service experience with the 109F, at about the time the units were starting to receive their first 109Gs (which had reinforced wing structure, I might add).
Such reminders to all units were issued by all airforces in the dozen during the war. It`s the first step in fixing an newly found problem.
Owing to continually recurring accidents caused by wing breakages in Me109 aircraft attention is drawn to the following
Then it lists various items including the item on wing tips. Now this is a document issued to units after that have been equipped and trained on the aircraft over and above the normal pilots notes.
And...? It`s a technical addendum, one of the thousends issued during the war from the slightest matters like what grease is to be used in winter till the maintaince of the spark plugs.
The fact that the authorities had to issue such a reminder implies to me that the problem was greater on the 109 than other aircraft, as I have never heard of such a reminder being issued to other airforces or aircraft. After all, if the problem was the same on all aircraft and the Germans were being more communatitive than other nations, why didn't they issue similar reminders for all their 190's, 110's etc?
And that is the fallacy of your logic. You`ve seen a snipped of a technical instruction about the
109 series. For some odd reason, you assume that no such exist for other aircraft types, as you haven`t seen it.
It doesn`t exist then.
But that`s just an illogical assumption about no such thing being issued in other airforces, or for other types. See below ?
Another one from 1941, Mk I/V
You will recall that JG26 in its list of pilots lost to accidents, treated wing failure as another type of accident, again something I have never heard of in any US or British record. Another indication that it was more common in German aircraft.
No, it`s an indication of the same logical fallacy. You haven`t seen it, then it doesn`t exist. But they do... a guy some time ago, collected
some from Spitfire : The History`s listing of Spitfire serials and fates from the original service cards of the individual aircraft. I won`t list all.
Mar 39...Mk I....K9838...Structural failure in dive.
Jan 41...Mk I....N3191...Both wings broke off in dive.
Jul 41...Mk I....X4354...Port wing broke off in dive.
Aug 41...Mk I....X4381...Starboard wing broke off in dive.
Mar 41...Mk I....X4421...Both wings broke off in dive pullout.
Jul 41...Mk I....X4662...Stbd wing broke off in dive pullout.
Jun 41...Mk I....X4680...Wings/tail broke off in dive pullout.
Nov 42...Mk I....X4621...Failed to recover from dive.
Apr 43...Mk II...P7352...Broke up in dive.
Sep 41...Mk II...P7522...Both wings broke off in dive.
Jun 43...Mk V....BL531...Both wings broke off in dive.
Feb 42...Mk V....AA876...Disintegrated in dive.
Jul 43...Mk V....BL389...Pilot thrown from aircraft in dive.
Jan 43...Mk IX...BS251...Structural failure in dive.
May 43...Mk IX...BS385...Structural failure in dive.
Aug 43...Mk IX...BS441...Disintegrated in dive.
Oct 46...Mk IX...PL387...Disintegrated in dive.
Jan 48...Mk XVI..SL724...Crashed after recovery from dive.
Sep 48...Mk XVI..TD119...Crashed after recovery from dive.
Aug 42...Mk I....N3284...Broke up in flight.
Aug 41...Mk I....N3286...Broke up in flight.
Sep 40...Mk I....P9546...Structural failure in flight.
May 42...Mk I....P9309...Lost wing in flight.
Apr 43...Mk I....X4234...Lost wing in spin.
Sep 42...Mk I....P9322...Broke up in flight.
Aug 43...Mk I....R6706...Aileron failure which led to crash.
Jan 43...Mk I....X4854...Starboard wing broke off in flight.
Nov 40...Mk II...P7593...Stbd wing and tail broke off in flight.
Dec 41...Mk II...P8183...Port wing broke off in flight.
Jun 42...Mk II...P8644...Starboard wing broke off in flight.
May 41...Mk II...N8245...Structural failure in flight.
Feb 44...Mk II...P7911...Flap failure which led to crash.
Sep 42...Mk V....AD555...Flap failure which led to crash.
Mar 44...Mk V....BL303...Flap failure which led to crash.
Dec 41...Mk V....BL407...Structural failure suspected.
Jun 42...Mk V....AB172...Structural failure in flight.
Mar 43...Mk V....AA970...Structural failure in flight.
Jun 43...Mk V....BL290...Port wing broke off in flight.
May 43...Mk V....BR627...Port wing failed in spin.
Oct 41...Mk IV...AA801...Structural failure in flight.
Feb 43...Mk IX...BS404...Structural failure in spin.
Feb 45...Mk IX...MH349...Wing failed during aerobatics.
etc.
The British recorded structural failures occuring just like the Germans and everybody else.
I would be the first to agree that this isn't definite proof but the circumstancial evidence builds up the more you look into it.
What
'circumstancial evidence'? You`ve seen a
single extract from the hundreds of technical instructions issued for the 109 during the war. By some odd logic, you claim no similiar thing was issued for other aircraft or by other air forces.
That`s circumstancial evidence?
I`d say it`s a small piece of the puzzle, it doesn`t say what happened after, and how they dealt a problem that occured under some circumstances, that they appearantly found and knew well on later subtypes.
Go ahead and do some in-depth research on other aircraft, and when you have done your reading, and have a solid base for comparison, come back and tell us wheter they are different or not.
I recommend you read the book
Spitfire : The History. It`s a great in-depth research of the Spitfire`s development. Here`s a spoiler, it speaks almost entirely of the technical difficulties the designers had to overcome, and a lot about structural issues, too. The more you read of the aircraft, the more skeletons you`ll find in the cupboard. The more you read about other aircraft as well, the more you realize the problems were very similar. And the more you read, the more you realize how little you know... for example, a friend sent me a list about aircraft related material in a national archive. It`s over 600 pages long, and it`s only has brief titles and references to it. 99.9% of it are unknown to me. If I`d ever be able to read all of it, I am sure I`d be bound for a lot of surprises.