Could WW2 updated aircraft be of any use nowadays. (Obviously not in a dogfight)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Procrastintor

Senior Airman
Jul 13, 2012
LA
I think, if properly modified and updated, old WW2 birds would be a more financially efficient way to deal with low intensity combat situations, example, like someone else said in an old thread: A drug runner is flying low in a Cessna, and a USAF Corsair, perhaps turboprop powered, tears it apart with 20mm's, he crashes in a fireball. Much cheaper than scrambling a Falcon, much better than letting him arrive. Or another scenario, insurgents are getting violent in South America somewhere, we send a Warhawk to fire warning shots, they return fire, scoring 10-15 hits with an AK47, the P-40 fails to give a crap and takes out the ones firing with a burst from the two, underwing mounted GAU-19 .50 cal gatling guns, the insurgents never bring up the subject of war again. I know these are not strictly realistic scenarios, but they are just examples of some usefulness an old plane could be. If I'm completely wrong that they could be useful again please tell me.

Rule out any tail dragger. Most if not all modern air forces will not operate tail draggers in a large scale. Additional training, operational risks outweigh any benefit.

Why would anybody buy a high maintenance and low part availability airframe when they can purchase a much more capable, lower maintenance and significant supply chain turbine powered version with likely much better overall performance for the operation (i.e., no air-to-air superiority nor intercept mission)? Super-Tocano, AT-6 and Pilatus are MUCH better platforms.

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 148
Exactly Matt hit it on the nail. There is no point in "updating" a WW2 aircraft for such purposes.

Not cost effective.

Not part effective.

And using 20mm to shoot down a Cessna is way overkill...:)

To Jaco, you wouldnt shoot them down unless you had GOOD reason to believe they were doing something illegal, obviously dont shoot down anything that crosses the border. And I thought that they would be cost effective, as a turboprop or piston engine is, at low speed, more fuel efficient than a jet, plus they are smaller, and wouldnt be needed in large numbers, just 100-200 to use as patrol/counter-insurgency. Also, by updated I mean along the lines of the PA-48 (A Piper built Mustang from the early '80s). It'd be a filler between Attack Helicopters and A-10s. More Expensive/Powerful than an Apache, but less of both than an A-10. But in any case, you guys are more than likely right, I was just curious after reading an old thread that touched on it.

Far cheaper to have new aircraft purpose built for the COIN role instead of using old stuff: either actual (stupid to even consider) or reproduction (waaayyyy too expensive) models.

My favorite is the Air Tractor. While the name might not be as cool as something like the "flying dumptruck", the craft itself can bring the hurt to the bad guys.

AirTractor_AT802U[720x480].jpg

(just realized it has a sharkmouth...this needs to be in the sharkmouth thread!) :lol:

If the Air Tractor pilot wasn't able to shoot down a C-47 with what's available aboard the AT802U, then he should just pop the canopy, take off his chute and toss it overboard and then jump to his death and let the Air Tractor fend for itself. It'll be far better off without all the stupid the pilot was feeding it.

1.jpg
Far cheaper to have new aircraft purpose built for the COIN role instead of using old stuff: either actual (stupid to even consider) or reproduction (waaayyyy too expensive) models.

My favorite is the Air Tractor. While the name might not be as cool as something like the "flying dumptruck", the craft itself can bring the hurt to the bad guys.

View attachment 238193

(just realized it has a sharkmouth...this needs to be in the sharkmouth thread!) :lol:

GG, that is not the "tractor". This is the "tractor". But I agree with you on simplicity. Then again, once you add in the avionics C3I, a tractor is really no longer the cheap airframe once envisioned.

P-38 for the missions listed above

Of which, there are only about 6 in flyable condition in the world. None of them fly with the turbo-superchargers anymore because they aren't needed, and the fuel to make them work properly isn't around anymore. "Updating" a WWII aircraft would require building the tooling to start making them again. There are plenty of aircraft already in production that can do the job cheaply, safer and more efficiently.

GG, that is not the "tractor". This is the "tractor". But I agree with you on simplicity. Then again, once you add in the avionics C3I, a tractor is really no longer the cheap airframe once envisioned.
Holy smokes, you're right!!
Not sure how I missed that (they do look dang close)...perhaps it was the shark mouth that threw me...yeah, that's it...that's my story

Why? I'm sure taildraggers have SOME benefits over trikes.
No, they're doggin' me over my screwup...I was in a hurry and posted a pic of a Beechcraft AT-6B instead of the Air Tractor AT-802U that I was referring to...like a pack-o-dogs on a three-legged cat :lol:

Anyway, a tail-dragger takes training to deal with certain characteristics that a tricycle setup doesn't. One factor is looking over the cowl versus looking out the side while taxiing...ease of ground-looping is another, etc. etc.

As far as COIN aircraft go, you have several light aircraft that are mission capable, like the aforementioned AT-6B, the AT-802U, the A-29 and even the OV-10.

Why? I'm sure taildraggers have SOME benefits over trikes.
NONE! They are harder to fly, easier to ground loop and require more training, that's why they went away as far as military aircraft are concerned. A modern military is not going to risk purchasing an aircraft that has any additional risk in it's normal operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back