Crash spitfire in France

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
A vintage Spitfire fighter flipped and nosedived into the ground at an airshow in France, terrifying onlookers.

Footage captured the moment the WWII plane is about to take off, but its propeller hits the ground.

The aircraft then flips on its head, sending dust and debris everywhere at the Longuyon-Villette Airport, near the French city of Verdun.
One young women was reportedly injured by a flying propeller splinter.

The plane was left upside down, and onlookers quickly rushed to the scene - despite the smoldering wreckage.

Together they manage to lift the plane up and drag the injured pilot out, who was immediately taken to hospital.

His condition is unknown.

The craft was then hosed down to ensure there was no fire risk.

Spitfire at French airshow nosedives into the ground | Daily Mail Online

Ah Spit !
That's the BBMF's recently re-painted PR19. Looks like a prop strike on a hump in the ground just wound it round and over.
I hope the pilot is OK.

EDIT : My mistake, just found out that it's French registered.

Last edited:
And the last flyable SeaFury crashed a little while ago. I just really do not understand why people continue to fly vintage aircraft especially when they are so rare. I could understand it if there were a few dozen of a type still flyable, but when they drop into the single digits of survivors I honestly think the better part of valor is to retire them from flight. Accidents do happen. Just google "warbird accidents 2016" and you will be amazed. Some of those are gone forever, because someone could not resist flying it and now its crashed and burned and lost forever. Selfish if you ask me.

Sure you're info's correct, Robert? I think there are several Sea Furies still airworthy, including a number in the air racing scene.

I have no problem with old aircraft being flown but I don't need to see them doing low-level aerobatics - that's just too risky for my liking. Personally, I'd prefer a nicely banked pass along the crowd line to show off the aircraft and let us hear the noise it makes. Then again I'm easily pleased...:)

I was mistaken it was a Sea Vixen, the last airworthy example. There was a Sea Fury crash but it was not the last flyable example.

Fly Navy Heritage Trust Sea Vixen belly-lands in Yeovilton

And it was not a result of aerobatics, a simple hydraulic failure. Which is my point, when we get down to low numbers of survivors it is to me irresponsible to continue to fly them and risk their loss. This one at the very least will be able to serve as a static display, and possibly even return to flight.

I know that the owners have the right to do what they will with them. My own personal opinion is that to continue to operate these aircraft when so few remain is both irresponsible and selfish. But that is my opinion, I don't own one. A very small failure can lead to total loss and when you are talking about even rebuilt 70 year old plus equipment the chances go way up. Easy way to prove that theory, I used to work for an insurance company, we wrote policies for many privately held war birds and they were very expensive simply because from an actuarial stand point their rarity and the likelihood of loss if they were being operated is substantially higher than that of an already expensive to insure civil or commercial aircraft.

I know a number of war birds that are replica's but modern, and to most folks impossible to tell the difference. If folks want to fly one then build a replica. At least that is my way of thinking.

Pardon my ignorance
But how is the Spitfire going to be recovered?
Hopefully they no gonna chop up for firewood.
Obviously it's not gonna fly out but I would assume it's as dissembled so its wings are off and then lifted by crane and trucked out?

Pardon my ignorance
But how is the Spitfire going to be recovered?
Hopefully they no gonna chop up for firewood.
Obviously it's not gonna fly out but I would assume it's as dissembled so its wings are off and then lifted by crane and trucked out?
It's likely they'll lift it to get it the right way up and move it off the runway first. then, remove the wings and place them in a fixture for moving, likewise with the fuselage. This is all after investigators have given the O.K. to move the aircraft.

Robert, this aircraft may not be "lost forever". Though the wing spar has clearly been broken, given enough money, the owner could get a new wing built and get it in the air again.

Spitfires are certainly not one-offs. In fact there are more being added to the world's flyable population every year and there are maybe thirty now. Some notable examples have been completely rebuilt after having been already "lost forever". The flying examples are additional to the dozens of excellent static examples that are preserved in museums for posterity. Personally I think that, in the case of the Spitfire, the practice of flying them is sound given the healthy population of static examples.

Robert, this aircraft may not be "lost forever".

It is a Spitfire XIX PS890, originally a PR Spitfire which served until 1952 with the Royal Thai Air Force. Its convoluted history includes a spell with Planes of Fame (registered in the US as N219AM). You will find images of the aircraft from this time with clipped wings, painted in what someone imagined to be PRU blue and with contra rotating propellers. I believe the engine fitted at this time came from a Shackleton.
It was subsequently bought in the mid 2000s by Christophe Jacquard who still owns the aircraft as far as I know (registered in France as F-AZJS).
Being a relatively rare and valuable aircraft, but above all being a Spitfire, means that someone somewhere will find the money to return it to the air.
Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back