Crash spitfire in France

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It is a niche market and I bet such items come with a hefty price tag attached! How many Spitfire spars are needed each year? Not enough to achieve any economies of scale, that's for sure :)
Cheers
Steve

Replicas, in the real sense of the word, are not immune to accidents either. This one came down in France on the 19th.

Victime-d-une-panne-un-avion-atterrit-a-Mont-pres-Chambord_image_article_large.jpg

Cheers

Steve

P-51 'Miss Velma' came a cropper at Flying Legends, making a forced and heavy landing in a field. Here she is being returned to Duxford on the back of a truck.

miss velma.jpg

Steve

Hm. More damage than I'd imagine. However, the pilot displayed magnificent skill in aborting the approached landing, veering off and putting it down alongside the M11 Motorway.
From 'abort' to touch down could only have been around 5 to maybe 10 seconds, with a hard turn to starboard from a banked, curving approach to port. Had this been a 'service' aircraft, I think the pilot would have received a 'green endorsement' in his log book for his supreme skill in saving the aircraft.

Terrible news.

On the Saturday I attended the Duxford show, I learned that the Spitfire XIV, the original subject of this post, is to begin repairs soon as the owner is keen to get it in the air again. The aircraft had just recently received a new wing spar before the mishap. Expensive business.

And now a Sea Fury down in Breckenridge,Texas. It looks bad and the pilot has been badly injured.
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back