Cruisers Battleships (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not the best heavy cruiser, but she is one of the ships I'm most fond of. This York-class CA had a colorful life during the war. Playing a key role in the Battle of the River Plate, to her defiant end at the Java Sea. Her surviving crew would spend the war as POWs of the Imperial Japanese empire.
800px-HMS_Exeter_off_Sumatra_in_1942.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRmQpyi-2Rs

This site has some good images. http://www.world-war.co.uk/York/exeter.php3

Attachments

• _hmasexeter.jpg
    _hmasexeter.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 107
  • _atnight.jpg
    _atnight.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 112
  • _atnight2.jpg
    _atnight2.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 120
  • _exeter1940.jpg
    _exeter1940.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 120
  • _javasea2.jpg
    _javasea2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
She was a beautiful ship though.

I agree, though I don't the RN had looks in mind when designing her. :) I think this CA has Exeter beat for looks though, and firepower.
USS Houston CA-30, Northhampton-class heavy cruiser. Had 9x8 inch guns compared to Exeters 6, but her armor was thinner than most contemporaries due to the weight limit of the Washington Naval Treaty. Was part of the US Asiatic Fleet, taking part in the valiant if hopeless defense of Java. Survived the Battle of the Java Sea, but was lost in the early morning hours of March 1st, 1942 at the Sunda Strait, along with the HMAS Perth(will post pictures later).
h81592.jpg

h43649.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZWgEczRXrk

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzemNcRg8s8

Didn't the USN heavy cruisers have less armour than their RN counterparts?
I wonder how they would have stood up to the 11 inch shells from Graf Spee?

If I remember correctly, the RN had to try to juggle with a number of requirements. Namely, complying with treaties / limitations, having sufficient cruisers to have a presence around the Empire and secure trade routes etc. This meant that these cruisers needed to be quite long legged, have good speed and also have a good combination of armour and firepower to look after themselves - as backup may be a long way off!
I believe the 8 inch goods whilst quite hard hitting, had a slower rate of fire and so were second choice to the more rapid firing 6 inch guns.
The IJN tried a different route - emphasizing firepower over protection and creature comforts for their crews. In some cases the IJN produced ships that were not very seaworthy and had top heavy characteristics.

Light Crusier of the Modified Leander class. Built by the Royal Navy and sold to the Royal Australian Navy. Was part of the ABDA naval forces near Java. Survived the Battle of the Java Sea, and fought to the last alongside USS Houston during the Battle of the Sunda Strait.

a40-into-syd-1940.jpg

sun-lastphot.jpg

I have always been interested in the RN C,D and E class WWI light cruisers built for service in the North Sea but ended up serving world wide during WWII often on convoy or anti raider duty

HMS Ceres

hmsceres.jpg

HMS Dragon

Photo06clDauntless1NPMarkTeadham.jpg

HMS Emerald

HMS EMERALD.jpg

Yes they are. There was a lot going on inside those hulls and the ship had to generate it's own power, including for light, so as much natural light as possible was needed to lessen that burden.

Yes but nothing like we have today. The stoke holds were pressurized for better combustion (power) but other parts of the ship were less well supplied. US ships were among the first close up the sides and go to forced (mechanical) ventilation at artificial light.

Lots of ships had used vent cowls to supplement ventilation when under way and some vent cowls could be rotated to take advantage of the wind.

16-inch guns on the battleship HMS RODNEY open fire whilst she is steaming in the Western Mediterranean. In the foreground can be seen one of the battleship's 4.7 inch guns in an open turret. Note how the barrels of the 16 inch guns are of uneven length, due to the recoil of the gun after firing.
HMS-Rodney-firing-595x438.jpg

Operation Pedestal, 13 August 1942: A DIDO class cruiser firing at night against Italian MAS boats.
HMS-Dido-firing-595x416.jpg

HMS Manchester was hit by two torpedoes in the early hours of the 13th August. The fight to keep her afloat had to be abandoned some hours later.
HMS_Manchester_C15_1942-595x422.jpg

13 August: The Italian Fleet intervenes: The cruiser MUZIO ATTENDOLO at Naples after UNBROKEN's attack on 13 August 1942. She was hit by one 21 inch torpedo which blew off her bows. The target's high speed at the time of the hit is indicated by the way the hull was folded back as far back as the bridge.
Muzio-damaged-595x377.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back