Damaged P-38 cockpit (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kingscoy

Senior Airman
Jan 19, 2008
The Netherlands
www.arga-nl.nl
Hi,

Got this photo of P-38 which got hit by a 20mm shell according to the writing on the back. Still trying to read the serialno. on the radio call decal. Photo is just a little bit out of focus to get a sharp scan.

regards,
Sander

Attachments

• Cockpit P-38_2.jpg
    Cockpit P-38_2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 499
And I asume that he brought this bird home...that's some real flying skills!!

I think I have the first part of the serial correct; 2-1040.. This block of P-38J-15 serialno's were a/c mainly used in the ETO.

regards,
Sander

This pic appears on p 167 of the late Roger Freeman's classic "The Mighty Eighth".

The caption reads:

A 20mm shell hit the windscreen of Lt Col Wilson's P-38J, 42-104307, over France on 13 Jun. 1944. The 55th FS commander escaped with slight face cuts, first man in the squadron to be wounded in action during six months of combat. P-38's 'wheel' control column and the firing button are prominent in this picture

BC

Hi BC1,

Thanks for that info. Am wondering now if the photo I have a later re-production is or a time period print as it does not glow under black light? Anyway, it is an impressive photo.
Thanks again!

regards,
Sander

Users who are viewing this thread

Back