Daughter's First GA Flight.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

she looks so darn cute in that plane! hehe

I wanna be a pilot someday, but I hear you have to go through a LOT of stuff before you even get into the cockpit of a plane! plus them planes cost like hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the insurance has GOT to be INSANE.

I wanna be a pilot someday, but I hear you have to go through a LOT of stuff before you even get into the cockpit of a plane! plus them planes cost like hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the insurance has GOT to be INSANE.

It's not that bad Trebor, the most expensive parts are renting the airplane and the instructor. It is costly, but figure a C-150 (cessna) is about $100-$110 an hour and an instructor is another $40 or $50. You need 40 hours in the air before you can test but most pilots test in the 80hr+ range. Ground school is probably another $400 and you physical is $50-$100. Add it all up and you can get your ticket for about $12K. A lot of money for one day but it is usually spread out over a year or two.

Insurance is renters insurance at that stage, maybe $200 a year.

Now if you own an airplane, it's a whole different story. But plenty of pilots get their ticket and just fly rentals. I do. Owned two birds and am looking around for a third but still rent. Simpler and easy to deal with.

Hope you decide to do it, definitely worth it. Once you get your ticket, it's for life. You have to stay current, but if you fly a decent amount, it's no problem.

I know someone here that sold a used Cessna 150 for about $16k. Yes, you can spend hundreds of thousands of dollar of an airplane, but not all airplanes are that expensive. I have known a few people that have bought a small, economical airplane and hired an instructor to teach them to fly it. It depends on how you want to do it. I would recommend the rental route though, especially if you don't know much about airplanes and their ownership.

It's not that unreachable as you think. I used to think the same thing and although I had some luck breaks I was determined to lean how to fly.

Airplane insurance for say a Cessna 172 is cheaper than car insurance.

lol wow, 12K? I think that's more than I've spent in my lifetime LOL but don't they give you this large textbook, and homework? and I shall consider taking the rental route. I believe even Warbirds cost millions, eh? and for me, it is pretty unreachable, money wise. I'd have to save up every paycheck for several years before I can pay that much, but as you said, it's over a period of a year or two.

I feel bad for asking advice in your thread, flyboy. hehe ^^;

so, did she feel scared at all when you took her up? you should have your wife in there too with a video camera to tape more of your flights with your daughter! :)

Was a guess. Went through ground school in the late 80s and it was (going on memory again).....I think it was $150, plus supplies. Maybe it was $200 but not more. Figured it was more based on inflation and all that happy ----.

Mine were through Embry Riddle and they charged per a college course worth 3 credit hours.

Oh dude, you went through a REAL school. I went through it with a guy so old he was on a first name basis with the Wright Brothers. Kept forgetting why he was standing in front of us...

That was the only way to do it over here with me being in the Military, without spending even more money to fly back to the US.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back