DC3 / C47 photo thread

Actually, D-Day Doll is a C-53 Skytrooper, but it did drop a stick of paratroopers over Normandy the night before the invasion, so it is a real veteran.
 
Actually, D-Day Doll is a C-53 Skytrooper, but it did drop a stick of paratroopers over Normandy the night before the invasion, so it is a real veteran.

Like I said, love "invasion stripes" stripes on a C-53. :)

Glad to hear that Skytrooper is a combat veteran. Ain't many warbirds around that saw action, of any type, I don't think.

TO
 
Interestingly, the C-47s that are still around have at least some combat experience. The Estrella C-47 "Betty's Biscuit Bomber" was involved in Normandy and Market Garden. I don't know the provenance of the Palm Springs one, nor the new Camarillo one (both being former IAF Dakotas too). I am trying to find out about the Clay Lacy DC-3, there seems to be some mystery about it as well. It appears to be a former C-47 also, with a partial serial from another aircraft on the nose.
 
This geneseo 47 may have dropped the the Band of Brother guys according to their info
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0528_1_1.jpg
    IMG_0528_1_1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 160
From the 2008 Reading WW II Weekend Airshow....

TO
 

Attachments

  • C47_1.jpg
    C47_1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 177
  • c47_2.jpg
    c47_2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 167
  • c47_3.jpg
    c47_3.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 180
  • c47_4.jpg
    c47_4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 184
Great shots guys thanks!
 
United Airlines Douglas DC-3A-197 NC16070 - Evergreen Aviation Museum Oregon
 
Estrella Warbird Museum just after they received their C-47. This is still in most of the IAF paint scheme.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_3586.jpg
    DSC_3586.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC_3593.jpg
    DSC_3593.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC_3604.jpg
    DSC_3604.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 207
In October of last year, it didn't even look like the same airplane. Here it is with the restoration done by the Estrella volunteers.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_3425.jpg
    DSC_3425.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC_3315.jpg
    DSC_3315.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC_3419.jpg
    DSC_3419.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 217
One more IAF bird, this one down at the Palm Springs Air Museum. I will be seeing this one again this weekend and will see if they have done any work on her.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_1487.jpg
    DSC_1487.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 218
  • DSC_1481.jpg
    DSC_1481.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_1478.jpg
    DSC_1478.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_1377.jpg
    DSC_1377.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 202
Does anyone of the forum or otherwise know of what unit a WW-2 USAAF C-47 was from that was rammed by a japanese aircraft and the C-47 lost part of it's upper middle fuselage area ? I have a zerox copy of this aircraft and the tail # and any markings that could ID it are not showing due to the angle of the photo, ther is a unit emblemon the nose area just aft of cockpit, this emblem I believe to be a Troop Carrier Sqd and it is a round background with an American Indian running with a tomahawk in one raised arm, he's wearing moccasins, a breechcloth and pants and has a headband with a feather in it.

I am trying very much to find out what Group?Squadron this C-47 was from, anyone who may know PLEASE contact me at my e mail, thank you !!!!!!
[email protected]
 
My very first plane ride was in 1958, I was seven years old at the time and lived on a farm in Kansas. We went to Wichita one Sunday. I went up with my mother in a DC-3 for a plane ride over the city. It did not last all that long but it was thrilling none the less. The thing I remember most after the fabulous view of the Arkansas River and surrounding area was my ears popping. No pressurization. What an odd sensation it was for a farm boy. One of the storied C-47s for me was one named the Argonia, which I am led to believe, took part in the Normandy Invasion.

Accompanying photo shows a model of the Argonia put out by the Franklin mint . . . I lived a mile outside of Argonia, Kansas on the farm I mentioned above.
 

Attachments

  • Screen shot 2010-06-03 at 7.22.20 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-06-03 at 7.22.20 PM.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 183
  • marvicbiz-copyright-c-47-the-argonia.jpg
    marvicbiz-copyright-c-47-the-argonia.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Here something you don't see everyday... The world's largest weather vane. :)
 

Attachments

  • untitled.bmp
    untitled.bmp
    315.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 157287.bmp
    157287.bmp
    549.4 KB · Views: 168
  • 800px-Douglas_DC3.jpg
    800px-Douglas_DC3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 175
  • 2.bmp
    2.bmp
    798.8 KB · Views: 205
  • 1.1218245760.worldxs-largest-weathervane.jpg
    1.1218245760.worldxs-largest-weathervane.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 161
  • weather_vane.jpg
    weather_vane.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 167
I believe this was a real DC-3. My only multi engine time for just 36 min. as co-pilot. A skydiving ship at Lake Elsinore in early 1982.
 

Attachments

  • dc-3003.jpg
    dc-3003.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 173
  • dc-3002.jpg
    dc-3002.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 2-p38s01.jpg
    2-p38s01.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 170
L2D3.jpg
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back