DC3 / C47 photo thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Did you ever hear of the Dc2 1/2?

It was a Dc2 with the right wing of a Dc3. Still flew..... quite some plane it is.

Attachments

• C47_01_russia.jpg
    C47_01_russia.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 112
  • C47_02.jpg
    C47_02.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 120
  • c47_8.jpg
    c47_8.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
more tasks for the bird

Attachments

• c47_13.jpg
    c47_13.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 111
  • c47_12.jpg
    c47_12.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 111
  • c47_11.jpg
    c47_11.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 109
  • c47_10.jpg
    c47_10.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 113
  • c47_09.jpg
    c47_09.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 110
Something special..
B24 Lib shoot down a japanese Dc3.......cant get much stranger then that...

Attachments

• Clipboard18.jpg
    Clipboard18.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 109
  • C47_22_japan.jpg
    C47_22_japan.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 95
  • C47_22_japan_1.jpg
    C47_22_japan_1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 96
Nice one! The previous shots of the roller racks for para dropping supplies were interesting too. Must have got some rapid 'sticks' in with those.

Great pics Gary. Sad to see some of them rotting away like that. I wonder how many hours, and miles, they have collectively covered? I bet there's some history sitting in that little collection of metal!

I just remembered, aren't fuselages of DC-3s being turned into those ugly 'Planeboats'? Why are people turning these flying machines into floating vessels? :mad:

Anyway, great shots of the Gooney Bird, for me the most beautiful twin engine passenger/cargo plane ever built.

Great pics, and the second one looks like an 'exit' shot. I notice the static line/bag is slightly shorter than that used in WW2, or is it a lack of strop extension?

The line is shorter; the deployment system we use has a pilot chute assist to get more clearance from the tail of the aircraft rather than using a longer line.

Here is a video from a camera mounted in front of the door showing the parachute deployment:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig3ZyJK6YhA

The second one does look like an exit shot, but it's just a unique angle from the chase plane.

Regards,

Andy

Great pics, and the second one looks like an 'exit' shot. I notice the static line/bag is slightly shorter than that used in WW2, or is it a lack of strop extension?

Thanks for the explanation Andy, and a great video. Wish I could come and do a couple of jumps with you, but, alas, I'm now riddled with Rheumatoid Arthritis, so no more getting my 'knees in the breeze'.

Are there any C-47 historians out there that can Please help me with a C-47 unit emblem ??????
I have seen a photo of a damaged C-47 of WW-2 ,it had part of it's upper fuselage taken out by a proppellor of another C-47 above it , they were on a night training mission out of a Texas air base dirung the war and the C-47 inadvertantly nosed up into the prop of fellow C-47, What I am seriously trying to find out is the unit Group/Squadron this C-47 was with at the time.
It has a emblem on it's feuselage upper portion just past cockpit area of a Running American Indian wearing feather headband and breeches, mocassins and holding a tomahawk in raised arm, if anyone can shed some light as to the base/aicraft's unit and colors/ID of the emblem carried PLEASE contact me, thank you VERY much !!!!!!!
Johnny
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back