Declining Page Count (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Wojtek. It doesn't actually bother me in any way, just wanted to point it out.

The forum search function is set up to only go back 1000 posts and since you have over 7000 posts the fact that you are only able to go back to 2008 is not surprising. You can search by individual forums and see up to 1000 posts for that specific forum but if it is the forum where you post the most often the posts will stop at an earlier date than one where you post less prolifically.

Horse would need to change the forum search parameters to allow us to search more in depth since you could go all the way back to your first post when we migrated to this forum software and he limited it to 1000 posts.
(That or a forum upgrade shortly after we migrated to this forum software limited the search parameters by default without him knowing it happened? )

Wheels

until recently, I could use my post/reply search feature and go back to my first post back in 2008...now I can only go back to almost a year ago in one format and last October in the other...neither of which would be close to 1,000 posts :lol:

until recently, I could use my post/reply search feature and go back to my first post back in 2008...now I can only go back to almost a year ago in one format and last October in the other...neither of which would be close to 1,000 posts :lol:

Are you saying that using different browsers give you different search results?

I am using IE 10 and I am able to see 1000 posts when I use the "search my posts" option and I am also seeing 1000 posts when I use the advanced search features to search by individual forums, when I have at least 1000 posts in that forum.

Wheels

Are you saying that using different browsers give you different search results?
Nope, the search results are a server feature and you'll get search result the same whether you're using Firefox, Safari or Internet Explorer.

The search scripting determines how many results are provided per request. Horse can limit it to 50 results per query or he can make it unlimited. I suspect that since he upgraded to a new setup, alot of features are at default settings and he hasn't gotten around to making adjustments since there were other things that needed his attention first.

Not sure why I am getting 1000 results when you are getting so few then?

Those 1000 results make up only 40 pages with 25 posts on each page so that could be where we are getting our wires crossed if you are using the pages instead of the posts?
(checked to confirm, I can go to page 39 and see results but when I click on page 40 it tells me "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.", so 975 it is instead of 1000. 8) )

Wheels

Not sure why the discrepancy, I'll show 40 pages of results (either posts or replies) yet can only get to about 29 or so before the error message: "no matches...etc etc"

Maybe the search engine hates me or the universe is punishing me for being such a mean bastard...who knows :lol:

Schultz[c].jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back