Der Kaiser Wilhem II in the Netherlands

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcel

rotartsinimdA
Staff
Admin
Mod
Sep 19, 2006
Dordrecht
www.redbeatband.nl
At the end of WWI, Kaiser Wilhelm fled to the Netherlands. He arrived by train from Belgium where he was with the troops. Reluctantly the Dutch government granted him to stay, mainly because he als was a 'Prince of Orange' as one of his titles, so in a very long past related to the Dutch Royal family. They never delivered him to the Allies to be tried for warcrimes. This was because the Dutch wanted to stay strictly neutral. The Kaiser could stay if he forfeited his claim on the German throne. He would be a private person within our borders and he could never go further than 15 km from his home in Doorn.

When he first arrived, the Count at Amerongen offered to house him. He thought the Kaiser would only stay for a couple of days, but as it turned out the guests stayed almost 2 years. He bought a house in Doorn, where he spent the rest of his days until his death in 1941.

My brother and I spent a day last week to find the evidence of the Kaiser's stay here in the NL. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Huyze Amerongen, where the Kaiser spent his first 2 years here. Unfortunately we could not enter. The word goes that the Kaiser held a monologue every evening about how he was not to blame for WW1. Apparently his host Graaf van Aldenburg-Bentinck grew tired of him quickly.
20180929_0028.jpg

To the great relieve of the Count, the Kaiser bought himself a house in the nearby village of Doorn. The house was not ideal for the Kaiser as he considered it too small. But he liked the 60 hectare ground around it and eventually made it his home.

The gate of Huis Doorn, which he build (not personally of course). It's in an old-Dutch style.
20180929_0037.jpg

Huis Doorn itself. Compared to his old palaces it was of course rather small. The estate however was quite big. The Kaiser developed a liking for cutting trees and that was what he did every morning until almost all trees were gone. Luckily they are back again. The Dutch government confiscated the estate after WW2. It was turned into a museum and the interior is largely untouched since the death of the Kaiser in 1941.
20180929_0039.jpg

Closeup:
20180929_0040.jpg

One of his uniforms. He apparently had at least 60 different uniforms and they are everywhere in the house.
20180929_0045.jpg

The Kaiser's dinner table. Here he ate every night. He would always be the first to get food. He would start eating while the others were being served. Dinner was over as soon as he finished eating. As he was a fast eater and did not eat much, you were lucky if you got anything at all before he finished.
20180929_0047.jpg

His chess board..
20180929_0050.jpg

His own bedchamber. On this bed he died in 1941. There is still a note from his niece with a fake flower on the bed. The museum people just left it there.
20180929_0056.jpg

His study. Take note of the saddle. A Hohenzollern 'always made important decisions in the saddle', thus his chair was a saddle :D
20180929_0061.jpg

His mausoleum. The only part of the estate that is still in the possession of the Hollerzolern. His body is still in there.
20180929_0076.jpg

Next week I will be fully in WW1 mode and visit the battle grounds of Yper, Belgium. :D

Excellent history and excellent photographs, well done. I've always been interested in the Kaiser, my only lament was that he died before he could see Hitler and his gang wiped out.

Marcel, can't wait to see the battlefield shots! :thumbleft:

Thanks guys.

Maybe a nice little detail. Please look at the Kaiser's uniform and tell me what is odd about it. Basically all his uniforms can be recognised by this one feature.

Great post Marcel.
Pity you aren't at Ypres this week, as my friend Mick is there again, with a group from his village, visiting the battle sites and the graves of those from the village lost in WW 1. He would have been able to show you around, as he knows the area very well.

Great post Marcel.
Pity you aren't at Ypres this week, as my friend Mick is there again, with a group from his village, visiting the battle sites and the graves of those from the village lost in WW 1. He would have been able to show you around, as he knows the area very well.
Yeah, just a week difference. I'll leave on friday.

He hid his left arm in photos or held a sword so I believe his disability was not widely known to the public.

Official portraits showed his left arm as normal.

Easy to play the expert and say his arm was a reason for his behaviour but dunno.

Was a war criminal? No idea although he had no real power and was quickly sidelined and had no part in the big decisions

He hid his left arm in photos or held a sword so I believe his disability was not widely known to the public.

Official portraits showed his left arm as normal.

Easy to play the expert and say his arm was a reason for his behaviour but dunno.

Was a war criminal? No idea although he had no real power and was quickly sidelined and had no part in the big decisions
Well he was naive enough to give Austria a carte blanche. On the other hand, he tried to stop the war before it started and was virtually put aside by his own military top. Things are never black-and-white in history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back