Dive brakes on NSGr's Ju87s?

Discussion in 'Questions on Kits, Decals, Tools and Pilots' started by Swing, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Swing

Swing New Member

I'm building an Italeri Ju87D-5 kit,which includes flame-dumped exhausts. For addition of my Fiat CR42LW, I'd like to build the stuka as a D-8 version.
    However, I cannot congfirm whether the dive brakes on night attackers removed. On SSP In Action, page 53,a D-7 or 8 had dive brakes, but some profiles imply that night versions had their dive brakes removed. So,is removing dive brakes a standard conversion? or varies from different units

2. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
    According to my info the night attack Stukas were based on D-3 variant for D-7 and the D-5 one for D-8. Because the D-3 type had the dive brakes left but locked , so the D-7 variant might have had these as well. But it is stated these air brakes were removed though. The D-5 variat of Ju87 had these removed fully and being the base for the D-8 type , caused the one wasn't equipped with them as well.

3. Swing

Swing New Member

Many thanks

4. Wurger

Wurger Siggy Master
    Staff Member Administrator

A retired military Navigator/ATC, FIS controller
  5. Erich

Erich the old Sage
    Staff Member Moderator

in some German references-documentation recorded there is the (N) behind the D-3 and D-5 with the result that D-7 and D-8 were added in but truly there were no D-7/8 variants. most cases the dive brakes were deleted the dive bombing that we know of 1939-early 44 for day time StG's changed with tactics for the NSGr's that dive bombing in the truest sense was not used on operations anymore

6. Swing

Swing New Member

so, D-3/N,-5/N instead of D-7,-8?