Do-17 to be salvaged

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wile looking around I found there. I sure hope they manage to bring it up.

Attachments

• dornier-17-aircraft-restoration.jpg
    dornier-17-aircraft-restoration.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 74
  • _52050305_52045949.jpg
    _52050305_52045949.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 72
  • 2440.jpg
    2440.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 57
  • dorn.jpg
    dorn.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 72
Completely newb question. After you figure what it will cost to salvage and restore this thing, wouldn't it be cheaper just to make a new one? Since none exist, there isn't a plethora of existing parts to use so they are going to have to make everything new anyway.

Given that accurate plans can be found, it might be possible to build, for example, a glass fibre replica - but why?
It would not be the same as having the only surviving real example of an aircraft that was an important symbol of WW2, especially to members of those European countries invaded and occupied in the first months of the conflict, and more especially to Britain itself, with the Dornier being one of the three main bombers involved in the Battle of Britain, an extremely important even to the British and, although often overlooked, an extremely important event, and major turning point, in the course of WW2.
This actual aircraft took part in, and was shot down during the BoB and, in terms of aviation history, and aviation archaeology, is equivalent to the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhmun.
When, or if, it's eventually recovered, the intention is to preserve and restore it as it is, not fully restore to factory-fresh appearance, so re-manufacturing components or fittings will not, in general terms, be required, beyond the possible or probable need for replacing some structural items to maintain integrity.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a suitable weather 'window' occurs and the aircraft can be raised before time and funding run out.

There has been a change of plan with the cradle being abandoned and an alternative being tried,
If all else fails the Dornier will be cut into sections and lifted.
By hook or by crook the Dornier will be extracted from its grave and restored.

At least a couple of machine guns, a few years back. Ever since, there's been a Coastguard 'watch' on the wreck site, with a diving ban.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back