Do you have favorite WW2 aircraft

Vote for Ur Favorite World War II Aircraft...

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ta 152H-1 for day and the Ju 88G-6 at night

were you expecting anything else ? though I do like the P-51D

Hurricanes, designed in the 30's still being used in fairly large numbers at the end of the war

I was in a hobby store the other day and they had a ton of VERY cool die cast metal war bird models. I decided to buy one for my desk but I couldn't choose just one so I didn't buy any!

:cry:

Mitsu' A6M5.

Beautifully balanced proportions, smooth graceful lines.
An extension of the pilot in every sense. If there's a heaven,
may God grant me a grass strip with an A6M waiting...

Fokker G.I.
because:
1. it is beautiful (in my opinion)
2. A lot of fire power at the time (1936)
3. One of the best heavy fighters at the start of the war(again in my opinion)
4. It's dutch and I should be proud of my country, shouldn't I ;)

I love a bunch of different planes for very different reasons.

Me-109 - Just looks like it wants to fight
P-47 - If it won't shoot you down, it will sit on you.
Spitfire - Beautiful and deadly
Me-110 - Just looks mean
Zero - elegant
P-40 - Come on, I dare ya!!!
Fw-190 - "You pick the type of fight you want and I'll still win"

But my favorites has been and always will be the Corsair. Beautiful, sleek, power galour, ample firepower, tough, fast, and that whistling sound to boot.

Hi Kris,

I haven't heard of this problem. I'm very interested if you have some more information on that. What I do know is that some of the G.I. weren't fitted with the 9 MG's intended, either the planes were G.I.B's, without the 20mm gunns, leaving only 4 MG's in the nose or on some G.I.A's they weren't fitted because the MG's were in short supply (typical dutch greediness).

My favorite the Fw ta 152H-1. Although the Spit XI and Re2005 came pretty close.

Wildcat, I always admired the look of the A35 Vengeance also. It had good performance figures too. Wonder why it did not play a bigger role? A cousin, the Vultee Vanguard was also a handsome aircraft with some serving in the CBI. Another intriguing air craft was the Curtis Wright CW-21 Demon. Some of them served in Java before being disposed of by the Japanese.

Dag Marcel;

The nose section of the G.1. caused problems too. The armament chosen by the Dutch air force, 8 machine guns for so-called 'water-can fire', proved to very problematic during landings. Due to this heavy armament the plane became nose-heavy and several G-1's ground looped during landing.

A good solution for this problem has never been found though in 1939 a plan was made to give the G.1. Wasp a different setup.

In this design 4 of the machineguns where relocated to the bomb bay firing from underneath the pilot. In use the machineguns proved to be very unreliable partly due to the low temperatures at high altitude.

This sensitivity for subzero temperatures has been solved by using a different lubricant. Despite that the armament kept on causing problems; firing them on the ground was no problem, but in the air usual 2 or 3 of them jammed. This problem has never been solved.

(from: http://www.dutch-aviation.nl/index5/Military/index5-1 G1.html)

Renrich,
the Demon had the best climb rate in the world but was used in the wrong way.

Kris

I don't really know.

Out of the 5 USSAF fighters I'm undecided as the my absolute favorite. The P-39 is probably at the bottom.

Out of the german aircraft, they kinda compete together. The 109 is the nastiest looking, except for the Stuka.

British: Spit.

Japanese: Zero?

Russian: Not quite sure.

I'll just go for something fat and say: Brewster Buffalo or the Polikarpov I-16

Good, steady, and unflattering fighters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back