Dogfighters (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Clave

Senior Master Sergeant
Jun 15, 2005
Deep in suburban Surrey
Series 1: 1914 - 1939

Dogfighters Series 1 Part 1

Gloster Gladiator Chinese Nationalists

Mitsubishi A5M Japan

Attachments

• Dogfighters_S1_P1.jpg
    Dogfighters_S1_P1.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
Dogfighters Series 1 Part 2

FIAT CR.32 Hungary

Avia B-534 Slovakia

Attachments

• Dogfighters_S1_P2.jpg
    Dogfighters_S1_P2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
Dogfighters Series 1 Part 3

Hawker Fury Mk I Spain Nationalists

Heinkel He-51B Spain Republicans

Attachments

• Dogfighters_S1_P3.jpg
    Dogfighters_S1_P3.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 490
Dogfighters Series 1 Part 4

Polikarpov I-15 Spain Nationalists

Messerschmitt Bf-109 D1 Condor Legion Spain Republicans

Attachments

• Dogfighters_S1_P4.jpg
    Dogfighters_S1_P4.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 572
Dogfighters Series 1 Part 2

FIAT CR.32 Hungary

Avia B-534 Slovakia

Great profiles as always Clave, but I will like to point on little historical inaccuracy...
At the time when Slovak and Hungarian fighters were doghfighting each other (in March 1939), Slovak national insignia was different then you have depicted. In fact, blue cross with red circle insignia was only introduced on 15th October 1940. Also, yellow bands (on fuselage and lower wingtips) were only introduced in 1941 with participation of Slovak Air Arms in Operation "Barbarossa".
Markings used at the time of war with Hungary in spring 1939 were as shown in attachment:

Attachments

• Copy of oruzja_044.jpg
    Copy of oruzja_044.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
I didn't even know the Slovakian and Hungarian air forces duked it out. Imalko, is there more information on this?

I didn't even know the Slovakian and Hungarian air forces duked it out. Imalko, is there more information on this?

It was a short "border" war between two countries, paradoxally both allied to Germany. Basically after German occupation of Czech and Bohemian territory in March 1939, Slovakia declared independence. Hungarians tried to occupy Slovakia believing that Slovak territory should belong to them. Conflict ended soon after with Hitler's Vienna arbitrage passing few Slovak border areas to Hungary in south and Poland in north. Remaining Slovak territory was organized as "independent" state under German protection.
I would have to check with some of my books for details, but I don't think that there was many dog fights during this conflict. Both air forces focused mainly on ground support and recconaisance work. Anyway, conflict only lasted for very short time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back