**** DONE: 1/144 Boeing 314A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Its the bubbling effect isnt it thats causing the problem. looks a bit like wallpaper rather than a decal. thats a damn shame andy.

Despite that, from this end, it still looks very good. Dont be too harsh. These things happen sometimes

Thanks guys. And your right Michael, once dried the decals look and feel like paper - all very odd!

Last edited:
I think a gloss coat would make the imperfections stand out more. I find a coat of the very flat Testors Dull Coat hides a lot of surface unevenness. Maybe that's worth a try, but you'll have to mask the windows first.

its the decalling on th sides that are the pronblem. The underside decals dont look too bad. Maybe remove the side decals, get s ome replacement flags, and spray the colour scheme on yourself?

A lot of work, and hard to do at this stage, but might be necessary to salvage this one.

very much like to hear what the old hands have got to say on this

Last edited:
I've applied gloss coats and a dull coat over the decals but to no avail. I still think it the actual decals and not my prep work (the same as I always do) as I've never worked with decals that were as thick as these.

My thought on the clear was that it would "soak-in" to the "paper" decals and make them look more like decals. Since you've tried that route with no success my thought is that you've no choice but to remove them. Once removed you can mask and paint the large areas and replacement decals for numbers, flags, etc. should be easy to come by

Yeah I might do that down the track Mike. To be honest I've lost interest in it now, so she'll be relegated to the darkest corner in the cabinet! :lol:

Andy, that is too bad after all that work. Makes you wonder where these kit-makers heads are located. Your basic construction is excellent and something like paint stripper should remove the decals. Check with Terry he would know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back