**** DONE: 1/32 Bf109G-2 - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lovely work, Wayne. One question for you. When in 1/48th, do you think the panel line detail is too over the top? I love the work you do, but the couple of times I have tried it at 1/48th, it just seems too contrived IMO.

Very nice Wayne. Did you use your pencil method for those lines?

Yes and Black pastel too...

Lovely work, Wayne. One question for you. When in 1/48th, do you think the panel line detail is too over the top? I love the work you do, but the couple of times I have tried it at 1/48th, it just seems too contrived IMO.

Dale, In 1/48 it's all about very sharp and thin with the pencil bit by bit and rubbing along the lines with a rubber to keep it right. now if the lines do become a tad over the top then a good way to tone this down is a thin overspray of the base colour to subdue it and blend it in a little a bit like the pre shading method some guys use.

Ok DID get out in the shed at 10 this morning...and it was 40C so i just got on with painting the black camo. When this was done I did a touchup with the light Blue on a couple of spots where I'd scratched the paint off and also sanded back a portion on the starboard flap that i was not happy with, by the time this was done at 11 it was 45C in the shed, boy was I glad to get out of there.

Pics before and after masks were off the Yellow ID markings...

Attachments

• 100_Black Camo applied_1998.jpg
    100_Black Camo applied_1998.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 101_Black Camo Applied-2004.jpg
    101_Black Camo Applied-2004.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 102_Lower Surface_2008.jpg
    102_Lower Surface_2008.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 103_Black applied-Masks off_2045.jpg
    103_Black applied-Masks off_2045.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 104_Black Camo-Masks off_2043.jpg
    104_Black Camo-Masks off_2043.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 105_Lower-Masks off_2050.jpg
    105_Lower-Masks off_2050.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 75
Lovely work, Wayne. And, thank you for taking the time on the feedback. I think I will try that on the Razorback I have on to be built stack.

Beautifully done Wayne particularly in that heat, it's a wonder the paint didn't dry in the pot.

Beautifully done Wayne particularly in that heat, it's a wonder the paint didn't dry in the pot.

Well, it's all about the right amount of thinner, staying in close and good control on the airbrush so you continue to get a good stream of paint to the model....was bl**dy hot though!

Appreciate your comments guys, thanks.

Today I took the airbrush to work and sprayed some gloss on all the areas that will require decals so I can keep moving forward, will give it a good overall coat of gloss after the decals are applied for a uniform finish before going to the flat coat.

Ok some gloss popped on the decal areas thursday and decals applied friday.

3 of the national insignia started to crack and fracture but i managed to get them on the model and sitting nicely without any sign of the initial problem potentially stuffing things up.
Techmod decals can be a pain and extremely fragile, plenty of care is needed to get them on the model...

Attachments

• 106_Gloss  Decals_2052.jpg
    106_Gloss Decals_2052.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 107_Gloss  Decals_2059.jpg
    107_Gloss Decals_2059.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 108_Gloss  decals_2061.jpg
    108_Gloss decals_2061.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 69
Looking the biz Wayne. And thanks for the warning about Techmod decals. I knew they need a coat of clear varnish before use, but wasn't aware they could still be fragile.
Noted, as I have a number of their decal sheets for use with future builds.

Thanks Terry and Cory.

Whilst I didn't gloss the decals on this one when I should have, I went ahead knowing I could have an issue, the trick with Techmod decals is to do each one individually and once you place them in the water you must not let them curl up, you need to keep the decal and backing flat until it is completely soaked.and remains flat. if it curls you need to leave it and hopefully it settles back to a flat state, if you force it once it curls, then you are likely to get multiple cracking and disintegration.
make sure there is some water on the model and then carefully slide the decal off the backing onto the model keeping it wet until it's positioned correctly, then draw the water away with a tissue and let it settle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back