<> **** DONE: 1/32 Sopwith Camel F.1 - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Did some further work, coming together rather easily and quickly at this point

My plan about painting has been refined a little ...basically attach the lower wing , engine cowling . Then paint both wings and the stuts, then attach the struts and then the upper wing as an integral part of rigging job. The rigging has to be threaded through the support struts eyelets as the upper wing is put into place . most of the rigging is a single continuous thread, so not as difficult as it sounds (I hope).

I need to work out colour of the bottoms of each wing. I always assumed it would be an off white with a sort of greenish tinge underneath . But recently I saw a museum display showing the underwing being a crème with brownish tinge to it I also believed the skin visble on the underside was the reverse side of the canvas skin but the attached museum source shows it as being in ply

Anyone got any suggestions about underside skin colour for the wings?

http://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/sopwith-f-1-camel/

As an aside I stumbled across this detailed build log for the Camel

http://ww1aircraftmodels.com/pa

Yes, it was clear doped linen.
A mix of white, light brown and a small touch of yellow will produce the desired shade, and should look something like this, perhaps a touch lighter (the lighting has caused a warm cast in the photo).

SE5 build 132.jpg

Thanks guys, ive purchased a jar of Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan, and might try to fiddle about with pigmentation to try and get this element correct.

so here are the progress shots so far. ive opted to pant the fuselage and lower wings assembled. The struts, U/C and wheels are also painted (still finishing the struts), and the upper wing whilst it is still separated from the main body. I have to do it that way because the rigging has to be put in before the upper wing is fixed into position.

I also scratch built the ammunition extraction chutes (I think that's what they are called) just behind the cowl. It was tricky. I didn't really have any appropriate box section materials, so I had to change (ne panel beat) some right diameter round aluminium into a correct box profile, using a mixture of filing and reshaping and also using a solid square section dolly which I pushed into the pipe aperture. I basically beat the pipe around that template to get the square shape I was after. Then I went onto adjusting the size of the aperture in the fuselage so the two elements fitted. Even so, at fitting, filling was required to fill small gaps I used green goo for this and than painting

Ive had somewhat of a computer disaster. I use an old SLR digital camera to take the shots before transferring them onto my external hard drive. Cannot transfer directly to my PC because the transfer cable doesn't fit. Yesterday my HD decided to cr*p itself. Ive lost all my data files for this build and all the progress shots as well, but worse, my data transfer method has had to be changed and for some shots I was using a much inferior digital with no capacity for close up photography (that's the main reason for using the older digital that have, along with the fact that its overall lense produces better images. Not everything old is cr*p....

Anyway here are the progress shots as they are

Fuselage 1.jpg

The ammunition extraction chute is in place

Sopwith camel  fuselage 1.jpg

The colour I settled for the doped underside. Its a mix of Tamiya Deck Tan and Desert Yellow, which found was an okay result.

Sopwith camel  struts detail 1.jpg

Bad photo using the cr*p camera of the still unfinished support struts. in the flesh they are pretty good with nice woodgrain effects

undercarriage 1.jpg

Undercarriage, same problem as above
wheels.jpg
wheels, same problem with the photography as the previous two shots

I will try and solve the imaging problem I now have before the next round of shots. but overall progressing fairly well now

Last edited:
just when I think I might be getting the hang of this stuff, I have to go and take another close up shot!

here is the woodgraining effects now completed. It looks fine in the flesh, but with the close up photography it reveals the poor edging outcome....I'm happy with the wood grain effects, but not the sloppy edges that I done yet again. Drives me nuts to see that happening again. I'm debating whether to try and crisp up that leading edge at this minute...

Anyway, here is the relvant progress shot

woodgraining done.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back