**** DONE: 1/32 Spitfire Mk.VIII - Home Country Modern Aircraft/Spitfire GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes Cory, the uniforms and/or flight gear (if one-piece flying suit) tended to be the 'jungle green' version of Tropical Dress, although a mix of 'European' and tropical could be seen, depending on the season. RAF and Canadian kit was very similar in style and colour, if not identical, but Australian style and colour was slightly different, depending on the garment. Note also that the 'tropical dress' could also be the colour as used in the MTO, so a check of reference pictures would be helpful.
Flying helmets could be the standard, dark brown leather 'Type C', or the tropical version, which was a light, 'sand' coloured cloth. Of course, parachute harness, 'Mae West' and so on were the same anywhere, so no change of colours.

I'm going with the idea that those Aussies were like the USMC, the front line pilots wore what was comfortable, and the extreme conditions and weird washing practices resulted in many variations of colors.
In short, any combo of khaki and greens, (with the bow to the English propensity for head gear) is acceptable!

Last edited:
Really nice work, Cory..... Going to be interesting to see who's advice you follow on the pilot. Me ? I'd take Wayne's...

Charles

Hey guys. It's all finished, however I lost some photos. :( I have it painted, but I had another set once the decals were on but they have disappeared.

DSC_01101-2.jpg

DSC_01111-2.jpg

I also took all of the finished photos but I must have had the aperture set too wide and they were all white! Not my day for photos. :lol:

152_m11a.jpg
A picture with the UMoT Spitfire Mk.VIII seen partially. The image source the Internet.

View attachment 202233

ALso another Spitfire of the 152nd RAAF Squadron...

mk_8_group2.jpg

Hey any update on this build re photos - I have a close interest in 152 Sdn so would love to see UMT finished - I am about to start a 1/32 UMT build myself - not for your pilot but for his former CO - Maj Harry Hoffe whose aircraft is shown in the photo above - UMT was the code for the CO's personal aircraft in 152.

This is him with his aircraft in 1944

Users who are viewing this thread

Back