**** DONE: 1/48 Arado Ar-196-A - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I see. Here is a couple of profiles as an example, I have found via the net ...

2_27.jpg

ar196t3hha.jpg

However these pictures don't show the white spinner. The last shot here shows it was of red colour rather or it was of the camo one.

Arado-Ar-196-2.BoFlGr-196-(T3+LK)-01.jpg

Arado-Ar-196-2.BoFlGr-196-(T3+LK)-02.jpg

Arado-Ar-196-2.BoFlGr-196-(T3+LK)-03.jpg

Arado-Ar-196-2.BoFlGr-196-(T3+LK)-04.jpg

Paul, I would like to make a focus on the first profile in the post #181. Its caption is missleading toatlly. The Polish one says it's T3+CK while the English one tells us it's T3+BL. But the code on the Arado is T3+LK.

According to info I found via the net these Ar-196s were of Bismarck. ..

Werk.No.052, markings T3+IH Pilot: Unteroffizier Ernst Lange. Observer: Leutenant Günter Lademann.
Werk.No.110, markings T3+AK Pilot: Feldwebel Oskar Andersen. Observer: Leutenant zur See Rolf Hambruch.
Werk.No.123, markings T3+DL Pilot: Feldwebel Josef Kempfle. Observer: Oberleutenant Siegfried Mühling.
Werk.No.150, markings T3+MK Pilot: Feldwebel Werner Seeliger. Observer: Leutenant Martin Lange.

Arados T3 + IH, T3 + AK, and T3 + DL were of the A-2 type, while T3 + MK was an A-3.

Here is the Ar-196 coced T3+IH. the pic source: Arado Ar-196,Waffen-Arsenal book no.126. As you may notice it was the A-2 variant ( no spinner ). No farther info on the T3+BK.

Ar-196 T3_IH.jpg

And the same shot found via the net...

Arado-Ar-196A-1.BoFlGr196-(T3+IH)-pocket-battleship-Bismarck-1940-01.jpg

Last edited:
In one book about German sea planes I found the these Arados T3 + IH, T3 + AK, T3 + DL, T3 + MK were of 5./Bordfliegerstaffer 196 delivered in March 1941 for training flights only. All of these were either A-3 or A-4 variants. These initial Ar-196s were A-2 and A-3(4) types. An interesting thing is that these first Arados A-2 were coded T3+IH, T3+LK and T3+M(J?) that is said to be of A-3(4) variant according to the book.

Very slick Paul and great info exchanges going on. I seem to recall that when Cameron did his Bismarck dive, he found one of the Arados in the hangar. I wonder if there are any pics that might show the codes.

It's looking good Paul. The colours look a bit pale and greyish, compared to all artwork and photos I've seen, but it could be the lighting - plus, I don't think I've actually seen the colours for 'real' anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back