**** DONE: 1/48 Bf109F-4 J.Steinhoff - Your Favorite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A slow start to this one. Still recovering from jet lag so no energy after work. And then tomorrow it's off to the mountains for 3 days of skiing. Back Monday.

OK, here we go.

As with most ICM kits, we get a bevy of detail on this one. I've decided to display this model with one side of the engine cowl opened up to show the nicely detailed engine that's been provided. First, however, I had to do away with these molded spark plug wires and harnesses.

120225 Bare Engine.jpg

With the ignition wires filed off, the basic engine was assembled:

120225 Engine.jpg

Next, we have the basic cockpit bits glued together. The seat pan has had the edges thinned somewhat.

120225 Pit.jpg

The cockpit, firewall, and engine are now assembled together and set aside in preparation for addition of details.

120225 Full Engine and Pit.jpg

Owing to previous experience with my ICM Spit IX, I went ahead and dry-fitted the major pieces together to see if there would be any fit issues. Looks to me that there should not be any major issues.

120225 Trial Fot.jpg

The wheel wells on this model will be modified as, although I don't have confirming photo evidence on Steinhoff's plane, the majority of production F-4's had the circular wheel wells so I will opt to make this modification here.

Wells Before.jpg

As a start, bits of card have been glued to the edges of the wells and then the circle marked which will be then cut to shape.

120225 Well Rounds.jpg

That's it for now. More tomorrow hopefully.

Just could not leave well enough alone could you Andy cut,modify and butcher :lol: Looking good thus far I guess the mountains did a recharge?

Yep, skied for 3 straight days and came back Monday. Engine details are juts screaming to be enhanced. There's a lot that's not there yet.

Thanks guys and thank you for the heads up Terry. Following is today's progress:

The machine guns were a bit of a head-scratcher as the instruction sheet did not get into a lot of detail in this area. As a result, I started by assembling he ammo boxes to the guns.

120226 Guns.jpg

After a bit of fiddling and dry fitting, the pieces came together and were cemented.

120226 Guns On.jpg

Finally, scratch built details were begun on the engine. The ignition leads wre added with copper wire, some of which had been previously coated in primer as you can see. The coolant tank received two mounting straps and a filler cap.

120226 Engine.jpg

Lots more to come and thanks fro looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back