**** DONE: 1/48 Bristol Beaufighter Mk.If - Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Its a duct for blowing warm air to the guy in the back i believe !

Looks great Steph

Yes Karl, you believe right :thumbright:
Here is the fuselage ready to close... I have to add cockpit lights.
DSCN2265.JPG
DSCN2266.JPG

Last edited:
That's looking great Steph.
Are you going to make and fit the radar monitor in the rear cockpit ?
There were also a pair of 'grab handles' and hand rails in the forward entrance well, and the pics below, from my 1/32nd scale build from the first MTO GB show these areas.

Attachments

• MTO Build 018.jpg
    MTO Build 018.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 191
  • MTO Build 019.jpg
    MTO Build 019.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 208
  • MTO Build 253.jpg
    MTO Build 253.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 193
  • MTO Build 086.jpg
    MTO Build 086.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 208
That's looking great Steph.
Are you going to make and fit the radar monitor in the rear cockpit ?
There were also a pair of 'grab handles' and hand rails in the forward entrance well, and the pics below, from my 1/32nd scale build from the first MTO GB show these areas.

Terry, I didn't find any info about this radar monitor in my books: Modellers datafile 6 and Squadron in Action 1153. Where did you find these infos ? There is a little piece of resin in the Cutting Edge resin kit to build this part, where do I put this piece, in front of the observer seat or, like you, behind him ? TIA
I'm going to add the pair of 'grab handles' and hand rails in the forward entrance well :)

The diagram and photo of the radar monitor are from "Aircraft of 100 Group", and I think, from memory, there are also pics in the 'Warpaint' publication on the Beaufighter, as well as "Beaufighter at War', plus further info in a number of books/DVDs covering night fighter Ops.
The monitor and its controls were mounted as shown in the pics and on my model, aft of the Observer's seat, with the main control and terminal units on the port side, in the mid-section. Forward of the Observer's seat, there was a small instrument panel with basic instruments (Altimeter, ASI and compass repeater) which, from memory, is included in the kit.
The item on top of the monitor (in the photo of the actual installation) is a pair of Infra red binoculars.
The Observer normally sat facing aft, with his head 'buried' in the rubber shroud of the twin radar screens, and directed the pilot to the 'contact', which was 'handed over' by GCI, until such time as a 'visual' could be obtained, when he would then normally rotate his seat to face forward, observing the final approach to the target.
Colours of the unit are as shown on my model (not very clear due to lighting), being basically a light grey overall, with black rubber shroud, black control knobs, and bare metal cable connections, the majority of the cables being of the 'braided' type, and a light, golden brown, and/or metallic grey/white in colour.
The two 'cutaway' drawings below, just for interest, show the general layout and differences between the MkI and MkVI, with ammo tanks and ammo drums, and note these are both fighter versions, without the radar equipment.
The final two pics show the forward entrance well with the radio and oxygen bottle in place, and painted. The radio fit is a mix of 'guesstimate' and from photo evidence, and not entirely accurate - just as well, as it can only just be seen through the open canopy hatch !

Attachments

• MTO Build 014.jpg
    MTO Build 014.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,000
  • MTO Build 015.jpg
    MTO Build 015.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 477
  • MTO Build 120.jpg
    MTO Build 120.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 280
  • MTO Build 121.jpg
    MTO Build 121.jpg