**** DONE: 1/48 CF-104 Starfighter - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys.

Interesting that after scouring around the CF-104 Starfighter Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/236405679823718/photos/), I discovered that there is a fully restored CF-104 (s/n 12846) right here at the military museum here in town! However, I'm not certain that it is available fro public viewing yet and am in the process of confirming that. This article Bad Request says that it was to open to the public in April. When I find out, it will certainly get a visit from yours truly!

Wow... that would be a great resource (and inspiration) for this build Andy! I hope you get access!

Thanks guys.

Interesting that after scouring around the CF-104 Starfighter Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/236405679823718/photos/), I discovered that there is a fully restored CF-104 (s/n 12846) right here at the military museum here in town! However, I'm not certain that it is available fro public viewing yet and am in the process of confirming that. This article Bad Request says that it was to open to the public in April. When I find out, it will certainly get a visit from yours truly!

You know what? I'm beginning to think this internet thing might work after all!

Really looking forward to this.

Jeff

Progression of scratch built seat modifications from the previous picture:

The seat back was removed and replaced with a new one made of plastic card. Lightening holes were drilled into the the rails. I also removed the sides of the seat buckets, replaced those as well, and added the stiffening ribs. I cut the molded knee guards from the discarded seat bucket sides, thinned them, and glued them to the new sides. Finally, the footrests were scratched and added to the front of the seat

15060801.jpg

The pull handle was added and basic painting completed:

15060802.jpg

I then added a bogus placard on the seat made of a square black decal and a white octane stencil. Those attempting to read this stencil closely will be frustrated by the shoulder belts that will hang over the placard, obliterating much of the detail. Here is the seat as it looks tonight after completion of detail painting, shadow washes, and lightened highlights:

15060803.jpg
15060804.jpg

Next up will be the addition of home made belts as well as the netting that attached from the knee guards to the back of the seat. Here is one of the reference pics I'm using for your info. I'm undecided as to whether, or not, to paint the knee guards with the red and white stripes as other pics don't show these painted like that.

IMG_3116.jpg

Last edited:
Got a better idea for the placard. After finding this picture of an actual C-2 seat placard on the net, I've decided to try and print my own decal from Photoshop just for kicks.

C-2 Seat Placard.jpg

Well, I found another pic of a Canadian C-2 seat with the stripes so may consider adding them:

filename-13-early-ejection.jpg

So I'll throw out an appeal to anyone who may have an extra 4th Allied Tactical Airforce decal like the one shown below. My research of pics of aircraft carrying these markings confirm that the crest was carried on both sides of the fuselage. However, the Belcher Bits decal sheets only include one such decal.

IMG_8445.JPG

Yeah, I don't have one either unfortunately. It's odd as I have a couple Belcher Bits sheets, but they're fairly old so they must be slightly different. I could recreate that pretty easily though if you want to try printing your own Andy.

Thanks guys. Not worth the trouble. I'm zeroing in on CF-104 s/n 12846 for which there are plenty of pics. It's also the one that is now restored. On that front, the aircraft is not yet open for public viewing but I know a guy who knows a guy who will try to get me a personal tour. Hope that works out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back