**** DONE: 1/48 CF-104 Starfighter - The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The instrument panel looks great Andy! Too bad you had to cover up the cannon port... I always hate plugging up weaponry on any machine!

Thanks guys. The model is at that mind-numbing stage where the fuselage is together and a lot of attention is being given to making the seams perfect.

Here is the basic fuselage with the two halves together. There are 4 individual panels that need to be inserted across the seams that need to be fitted so as not to create steps.

15062105.jpg
15062106.jpg

The first of these is the avionics hatch. This is how it looks after blending it in with a jeweller's file and micro-mesh pads. There does need to be a small seam here as, after all, it is a hatch so I'll scribe the lines in where they have been obliterated.

15062101.jpg

Next is the nose cone which did need a little truing up. Before gluing this on, I inserted two pieces of steel rod for weight, though I don't think it would have been needed given how far aft the main wheels are. Better safe than sorry. Again, a jeweller's file and micro-mesh pads did the trick.

15062102.jpg
15062103.jpg

The only area at which I had trouble was at the rear landing gear bulkhead where, despite trimming the bulkhead, I could not get the halves to come fully together so I had to stick in a piece of sheet styrene. This area has not yet been smoothed out. As you can see, it will be tricky with all the intricate detail around here.

15062104.jpg

See you soon.

Great work Andy! This is where I kinda fizzed out on the Flogger... cleaning up the joints but trying to preserve all of the delicate detail. So I am watching your work as motivational therapy.

Got to a point where I thought I'd squirt on some primer to see how things turned out.

The spine came out pretty good except for this small area where the seam is still a bit visible. Some surface primer and sanding should do it.

15062601.jpg

Here's the tricky area aft of the wheel wells. Not too bad and some of this will be hidden by the stabilizing fin that sits on the center line here.

15062602.jpg

This is just forward of the wheel well. Acceptable

15062603.jpg

The avionics hatch is next. A little bit of scribing should finish this area off. Got a bit of primer dusted onto the seat but that's an easy fix.

15062604.jpg
15062605.jpg

The shock cones were painted black and masked so I could paint the inside of the intakes before attaching the outer half. A dry fit here showed that some work will be needed.

15062606.jpg

Til next time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back