**** DONE: 1/48 CF-104 Starfighter - The Jet Age. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

EXCELLENT work on the seams! Very delicate detail to preserve which is a very fiddly and time-consuming process. Is your eyesight good enough to do this work unassisted? Mine is not and I need to be over a magnifier, which can get awkward with a long fuselage. Still... I feel inspired to do similar things on my Flogger!

Thanks guys. John, no, I have to use these over reading glasses:

99k2030-inset.jpg

Thanks guys.

Looked at bit more at this pic which didn't look quite right to me:

15062603.jpg

Sure enough, research of photos on line shows that there needs to be morework done do get rid of the transverse seams.

CF104 Underside Starfighter Museum.JPG

Sooooo... more filling and sanding. Yay.

Well spotted Andy, and it's progressing nicely.
The gas vents for the gun, on the underside, were plated over when the gun was removed, according to info in my references. However, a couple of photos show what might be the vents still open, although it's hard to tell.
I decided to fill them on my RCAF bird.

Thanks guys. Terry, good observation and will check into that. The photo I posted is actually of CF104 s/n12703 under restoration and the vent are open. Of course it's possible if not likley that, this being only the 3rd production aircraft, later versions had the vents faired over.

Having now begun work on the seam in question, it occurred to me later that my planned installation of the Vinten camera pod will pretty much hide this area anyway so I'll go easy on striving for perfection here. Not much to show otherwise. Just continuing to work the seams while I wait for my Alclads to arrive.

Cheers guys. Work is progressing on seams but I'm not stopping to take pics. Endless cycles of filing, applying CA or surface primers, sanding and polishing, priming, microscopic inspection, rinse and repeat, scribe..... All you would see is the same apparent pics over and over again as I try to get the surface perfect for a metallic finish. Boring stuff really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back