**** DONE: 1/48 F2A Buffalo - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This time I can't agree with Wayne. Here is a pic with a line of captured Brewster Buffaloes. Please notice the wing tip with probably already painted Hinomaru. Of course it might have been the faded RAF roundel too. But the lack of the Red disk at the center of the sign may suggest the Hinomaru.

buffalo-japanese-picture4-ww2shots-air+force.jpg

Also here is a shot of other planes tested in Tachikawa. All of them didn't have the Hinomaru with the white outline at wing tops.

CW22-4x-ww2shots-air+force.jpg

The foreground wingtip visible in the first pic probably isn't a Buffalo. The other airframes in the line-up all still wear NEI markings.

The second pic is more compelling - shows how flaky memory can be because I was convinced I remember it with white surrounds on the hinomaru.

Wurger, the first pic of Buffalos that you posted look like ones used as props in a Japanese movie, they had some re-painted in "Dutch" and "RAF" markings. and used them as propaganda pieces for some photo shots. If you look at the Buffalo behind the main one, it has a huge Dutch Flag and P marking (which I don't believe was standard issue, nor did any Buffs in Dutch colors fly such a marking, in a book or two on Captured aircraft you can even see the profile being depicted with the Dutch Flag near the wingtip bottoms of the aircraft)

The Hinomaru used on the pure Dutch (ie not repainted aircraft) were just painted over the Dutch insignia (there is one clear photo out there on the web somewhere), sometimes the marking had to be a bit larger than regular Hinomaru to cover the Dutch Triangle.

I believe that Wayne's assessment is correct, as most of these Triangles were covered over by repainting these dark green areas of the aircraft, therefore editing the original position of the Hinomaru (which would have been in a different position had it covered the Triangles more near center and to the edge of the wingtip)

They also re-applied a P-40 in older style US markings (with the red meatball) for the movie.

P.S. for the white outline on the Hinomaru on the top of the aircraft the only captured aircraft that this is easily seen on is the "crash landed" F6F

Last edited:
Sorry, Rogi, but your info is incorrect. These airframes are in an "as captured" condition at Andir. The ML-KNIL transitioned their national markings from the orange triangle to the red-white-blue horizontal bars in March 1942 (ie immediately prior to the surrender of the Dutch East Indies). The second airframe in the line-up is ex-RAF Buffalo W8163 allocated to 21 Sqn RAAF (wearing code letters GA-P on the fuselage) that evacuated Singapore in early February 1942 and was handed to the Dutch. The next airframe in line is also ex-RAF.

Last edited:
I can agree with Buffnut on the first pic and the wing tip ( it could have been a kind of propaganda as well ) but still I can't see any reason for applying of the Hinomaru with the white outline at that time. The crash landed captured F6F is a different matter because of the time it was captured and tested.

Wurger, I agree with you. My original comment about white surrounds on the upper wing markings was incorrect - I stupidly relied on memory rather than checking the facts. Your pics clearly made me a liar! :|

Oh don't exaggerate this. Also I could say the same about me. I haven't paid my attention to the shape of the wing tip in the first picture. Just assumed it was the Buffalo wing. Of course it would be misleading for all if it wasn't for you who made a focus on that. So heads up... right? :thumbright:

While looking for other images of the captured Buffalo that could confirm the top wing Hinomaru with the white surrounding I didn't find anything more. But I found these pics. It seems these are of the same kite with the number 2. The fist shot shows the starboard bottom Hinomaru without the white surround methinks. The second one is not of a very good quality but neither the top image nor the bottom one reveals the Japanese national marking with the white outline.

Buff_1.jpg

Buff_2.jpg

Sounds great and a classic give and take in the modeling section. So, if I am to understand correctly, I need plain red hinomarus on the wings, big enough to cover the Dutch triangles. Thanks to all for taking the time to help out.

Geo

Geo,

You're mostly right...but by the time the Japanese captured the Buffalos, most had changed their markings from orange triangles to rectangular "flags" per the famous line-up photo on the last page.

Looking again at the first pic in Wurger's Post #93 above, am I detecting a yellow tip to the left-most prop blade? Certainly looks like it - a pale blur against the fuselage. Hard to tell but one could argue that this bird (No. 2 I think) had yellow prop tips.

Cheers,
B-N

... Looking again at the first pic in Wurger's Post #93 above, am I detecting a yellow tip to the left-most prop blade? Certainly looks like it - a pale blur against the fuselage. Hard to tell but one could argue that this bird (No. 2 I think) had yellow prop tips...

Yep I have noticed the same. Also the Buffalo being tested in Tachikawa with the number 4 seems to have them too ( see the pic below ). And the F2A serial B-395 seems to have the yellow prop tips as well. However it doesn't seem to be a rule. The Buffalo , Geo is going to replicate, didn't have these tips of the prop blades painted yellow.

12-ww2shots-air+force.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back