**** DONE: 1/48 Corsair II - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crimea_River

Marshal
Nov 16, 2008
Calgary
Username: Crimea River
First name: Andy
Category: Judge – Non competing
Scale: 1/48
Manufacturer: Tamiya
Model Type: F4U-1D Corsair with Moto-Tug
Aftermarket addons: Numeral decals will be shamelessly scammed from Geo. BPF Roundels from Eduard Hellcat Dual Combo. Eduard PE Cockpit Set. Ultracast resin wheels. Plus the usual scratch built crap.

This model will depict the Corsair II s/n JT537 flown by Donald J. Sheppard, Royal Canadian Navy Volunteer Reserve in which he became the only Fleet Air Arm Corsair ace. More details in the next post.

Last edited by a moderator:
With thanks to http://www.cieldegloire.com/, with some of my own translation:

Born in Toronto in 1924, Don Sheppard volunteered for the RNVR Fleet Air Arm in December 1941. He was then only 17 years old and came directly from school. He joined the promotion 38 at HMS Vincent in May 1942 and after completing his initial training phase, he completed full training in the U.S. Navy. Once commissioned in the summer of 1943, he was assigned to 1835 Squadron n October. The unit was dissolved in December and Sheppard was transferred to 1836 Squadron which became a member of the 47th Naval Fighter Wing. He embarked on HMS Victorious in March 1944 and from April to June was involved in naval operations off the Norwegian coast, and notably in the first successful attack on the Tirpitz on April 3. During this period, he was transferred to the Active Reserve while remaining with 1836 Squadron.

In June, HMS Victorious is sent into the Indian Ocean and from December 1944 to January 1945, the carrier participated in the attack on Sumatran refineries. While flying in a section of Corsairs led by Major Ronnie Hay , Sheppard managed to win victories in each of the sorties flown in this sector, two in collaboration with Hay . For these victories and courage in battle, Sheppard received the Distinguished Service Cross in March 1945.

Shortly thereafter, HMS Victorious is sent to the Pacific to participate in the final operations against Japan alongside the U.S. Navy. From March 26 to May 26, Sheppard took part in operations on Okinawa. During these battles, Sheppard managed to get one last win on a dive bomber. At the end of these operations, the Fleet was sent to Australia and Sheppard returned to Canada.

After the war, Sheppard remained in the Royal Canadian Navy until 1974 and occupied various command positions. As far as I'm aware, Sheppard is retired and lives in Aurora Ontario.

The victories:

Sheppard Victories.PNG

The pilot:

SheppardDJinWWII.jpg
PotterLetter4.jpg

The aircraft:

Scan.jpg

Last edited:
I've read it was to allow built up gases in the fuselage to dissipate, but I don't think it was truly a legitimate problem since none of the American Corsairs had them, period, and I've never heard of that issue coming up in US service.

Andy, I am not too sure on the idea of radio cooling. I am assuming the radio gear was in the aft fuse. If so, a more direct cool air venting would be avoided in most cases to prevent the gear from being exposed to excessive moisture. The little I have worked with the local WWII restoration guys here Texas, I have yet to see that direct of an application of outside to avionics. Usually the air in taken in further "upstream" and routed back to any gear as needed with filtering added into ensure removal of moisture. Am I making any sense in this ramble?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back