**** DONE: 1/48 Corsair II - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Decals posted but I forgot it was a provincial holiday today. Interested to see how long it takes for Canada Post to bore a hole over to Eastern Canada. I mailed some decals to Jan and it took 7 days to travel across a continent and and ocean. Of course that was Air Canada first class and yours will probably be traveling by beaver.

Geo

Accidentally posted these on Cory's build. These any help to you...

and.JPG
andy.JPG

Geo

Zero when nailed to its perch.

Geo, thanks for the info. It's my fault you posted it over at Cory's build as I kinda highjacked it with my question about the gyro sight. Actually, I'm still not sure about it and will welcome any further input.

Terry, when did you say these were installed? One source has JT537 ID'd as F4U-1A BuNo 50341 and Geo has it delivered to a test unit in November 1944.

Not exactly sure about installation in FAA aircraft Andy, but RAF in Europe, particularly Spitfire MkIX's, started to get them in late summer/early autumn 1943, a full year before the first issue of American K-14 copy to 8th AF, and in SEAC on the Spitfire MkVIII by about December 1944.

No, it was the Gyro Computing Gun Sight MkII, a British sight. The K-14, which looks similar, was the licenced copy, built from plans and specifications supplied to the US, from Ferranti in Edinburgh.
I'll dig out some better pics and drawings, but the pic below shows what it looked like and, if you have a spare K-14, in this scale it would pass.
Hmm. The forum isn't allowing me to upload pics. I'll try to post it separately.

No problem Cory. Still can't get the pic loaded - the 'system' is running very slow, and when I try to get the upload page, it takes forever, then goes to a blank page.
I'll try later today, but if you look in the thread by totalize, for his 1/48th scale Typhoon, I think there's a drawing or photo of the sight. It only differs in details, with a different crash pad and a glare shield over the reflector screen.
EDIT: Seems to be working now, so here's that pic. Sorry about the colour cast and resolution - it was taken through glass, under fluorescent light.

Attachments

• Elvington 161.jpg
    Elvington 161.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Thanks for that Terry. I probably have a spare K-14 somewhere that should do.

Hope to make a start on this build on the weekend. I have 4 days off so no excuses!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back