**** DONE: 1/48 Corsair IV - Pacific Theatre of Operations II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, that's my problem Andy. Here's what I've got.

Corsair_on_HMS_Glory_(R62)_off_Rabaul_1945.jpg

RHG30.jpg

Corsair_KD244_135X_1842sqdn_HMSFormidable_1945.jpg

corsair14th-air-group.jpg

Striker45.jpg

The first 3 do have overpainted roundels but the last couple don't. The first one that doesn't is close to the serial number of the aircraft I'm doing, so maybe that's a clue.

I've seen all of those Cory but could not tell for certain if they were IVs. I think that it is arguable that the one in the second last pic did have overpainted roundels. Look at the starboard wing where there appears to be a circular anomaly in the finish. However, the framed canopy, I thought, was a feature of earlier Corsairs.

I believe any Corsair with a KD designation is a IV. The framed canopy was a feature of early -1Ds, and it seems like the FAA got a lot of them, so the canopy isn't a good indicator. I don't see the circular irregularity that you're referring to myself Andy.

I should note that the second photo in that group is a post-war Corsair, and a IV, so that may be definitive enough, I don't know.

Well, after pouring over every photo I could find, I'm going to say the smart money is on all FAA Corsairs being delivered with European style roundels, and then having the Pacific Fleet roundels painted over them. So I suppose my next question is, what is the correct colour for the roundel blue that was in the regular British roundels? I imagine that would be the colour they'd use over the DSB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back