**** DONE: 1/48 Corsair II - Pacific Theatre of Operations II

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks everyone. Following is a summary of the weekend's work:

The navigation lights are very small so I left these to the end. My usual method is to glue in a piece of clear plastic and shape it to the wing contour before painting but for this installation I felt it would be best to just build it up with clear parts cement. Here's how it looked when I started:

14051101.jpg

I drilled in a small hole and then a piece of clear sprue that was held against a flame to form a ball was cut and glued in.

14051103.jpg

After painting the bulb with thinned red paint, The lens was created with successive applications of clear cement:

14051107.jpg

The next pic shows some chipping that was made with my silver pencil around the often-accessed gun bays:

14051102.jpg

I then set about making the wing walks. These were painted on at this late stage so that the true flat finish would show. I didn't want these to receive the flat coat that was applied over the whole model as this had a slight gloss to it. Careful masking was in order for this job.

14051104.jpg

Here's the reveal after removing the masks:

14051105.jpg

Does anyone know what colour to paint the exposed surfaces of the inner flap surfaces?

Finally, some of the weathering around the engine, including paint chips and a light oil wash to the panel lines and the fuel filler area.

14051106.jpg

So, it's down to the short strokes here now. The whip antennae need to go in as does the prop that's on its way from Cory. Thanks for looking in everyone.

Very nicely done Andy.
Cory, if you can't get the Testor's stuff, then either Humbrol Clearfix (which is clear) or Micro Kristal Kleer (which is basically PVA) or just PVA will do the same job.

Cory, like Terry says, ordinary wood glue will give you the same effect, though I found it to be weaker than the Testors stuff for securing canopies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back