<> **** DONE: 1/48 F4U-7 (BuNo. 33710) - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great choice Geo! Great looking scheme.

I will check my decals for 4 mm white zeros when I get back to Ireland.
( A 4-mm high zero must be about 1:350 scale )

Definitely metal wings from the F4U-5 on, the F4U-4 was the last to use fabric. IIRC all control surfaces remained fabric covered, but will check to make sure.
Black interior on consoles and cockpit walls above them, but can't say for sure on the floor and seat till I find my books... I believe they were also Black from the -4 on, but not in earlier (open floored) models. Will check that too.

I think they went full metal after the -4. Anyhoo....I deem this a success, almost. At first glance it looks like 2 small areas to rework

Add some silver paint and we find more. No biggie, still pretty happy with the way it turned out

Looks like you've got that sorted Geo, nice job.
Glad you found the 'O' decals. i checked mine, and have some the right size, but wrong shape !

Thanks guys. Will get back to this in earnest once the other GB is done.

Great work! I checked mine which is a 1D and it has the fabric wings, but I think that is correct for my model. Not sure why HobbyBoss put fabric wings in a -7 kit.

Hobbyboss also does a -4 and a quick check shows that the wings are identical but a different cowling is added to the -7 kit. Getting the most out of the molds even if they aren't correct I guess

Sorry late to the party but I believe those are suppose to be shown. I took this picture at Air venture couple of years ago. Note the wing with the light just right or is it me? That's not fabric but the way the metal is.

Last edited:
Great shots Paul, thanks. Perhaps Hobbyboss just over cooked the mold making process. Just a thought, could the original fabric have been replaces with metal plates?

It's possible but really don't know, all the pictures I have taken of Corsair's show metal on the wings. There where 5 there back in 2015. The problem is unless the light is just right finding the pattern is really hard to see even in 8 meg pictures though I have reduced them in size for the board. Still looking though

I would say neither 489 nor 115 wings are metal skinned. Both of them have the fabric covering IMHO. Also it is the reason for applying of the thin black warning lines limiting the wing area for walking in your posted above image..

More pics of her can be seen here ... The World's Best Photos of 489 and f4u - Flickr Hive Mind

The skin looks like being done in the same way the rudder one is too.

Users who are viewing this thread