--> **** DONE: 1/48 F6F-5K HELLCAT DRONE - Post-War Warbirds

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You're a brave man George.
I made this kit years and years ago when it was Monogram in blue plastic before I got my first airbrush. You've got a lot of work ahead of you to bring it up to modern standards.
I recently pulled mine off the shelf dusted it off and did some repairs including the landing gear. I had left the gear operational back when I built it and it would no longer stand on the legs so I glueed the working mechanism which seem to work out pretty good. If you aren't going to detail the landing gear bays it might make things simpler if you install the landing gear legs so they're movable, leave them folded up in the wing while you build the rest of the plane and then when you're ready, extend them and glue them solid. I used tube glue for the pivot joint and liquid glue for the gear leg rotation joint.

I think if there was any doubt before, there's finally proof that you've lost it.

Funny Cory, only you and my psychiatrist seem to be saying that. Good advice Glenn, definitely worth keeping in mind. Right side console ruffed in, need to add wiring and angled plastic, then paint.

004.JPG

It looks better when you're 4 feet away and squinting.

Geo

Crazy but I see a method to your madness Geo. I think having the Eduard kit as a on-hand reference is the smartest way to go about this.

Good one Geo. I remember building this kit in the early 1970's, as a Latin American bird. The wheel bays were easily boxed in using thin plastic card.
A bit late now, but the kit cockpit rear bulkhead was supposed to fit between those two 'pins', a bit like the pic below.

Geo 1.JPG

Thanks guys. Working on the left panel in between packing so nothing to show. Camp bus in 90 minutes. Have a good week gentlemen. I'll be on when I can, internet sucked last week.

Geo

Thanks Wayne. Sitting in my room and pondering before the crew bus comes, as good as the Eduard innards are in plastic, why didn't i just use the Eduard P.E. on plastic card for this kit? Six more days of pondering.

Geo

....in the end I decide against using the P.E.. Finally got the port console done and both are now painted black awaiting the detailing. The tail gear strut was lengthened on the drone series so I set about correcting this.

001.JPG
002.JPG

Finally found a good photo of the drone antenna. It looks like both antennae entered the fuselage on the left side.

Capture.JPG

Geo

Thanks guys. Waiting for paint to dry so I thought I would tackle the seat or lack thereof as the kit one is attached to the pilot's keester. I found one in the spares bin...

001.JPG

...I'll cut off the part above the yellow line and add a rounded piece from card stock. Not exact but it won't be to noticeable under the closed canopy. I'll need to add the rails behind the seat as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back