**** DONE: 1/48 F7F-2N Tigercat – Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys

I finished cleaning up the landing gear and put on the Aluminum base coat. The main gear is pretty flimsy and I thought about getting the metal SAC replacements but the cheapest I saw it was $20 with shipping which is about what I paid for the kt so I'm going to give the kit parts a try and maybe add and extra strut to beef it up. The extra strut will be completly in the nacelle and I hope not too visable'
P2041673.JPG

I also picked up some resin wheels from CMK. I usually use True Details wheels but I think the CMK ones look more like the real thing the tires on the True Details not looking fat enough.
P2041671.JPG

Yes they are. I used them once for a Heller RF-84F a few years back when I found the kit gear to be terrible. They were very nicely detailed and made a huge improvement but cost has prevented me from using them since. It they could find a way to cut the cost in half I'd use them whenever available.

It looks good Glenn but have to agree that front leg is going to have some weight.I wish I had used SAC legs on a 1/24 109 G6 over time they look like they may give her a belly landing in another 5-10 years.

I'm very impressed with not only your work but the molding on this kit. That landing gear is convincingly complicated looking!

Good stuff Glenn, and I agree about the SAC products. I've wanted to use them on a few models where weight was involved, but think they are somewhat over-priced. One example in 1/48th scale, consists of two, very simple struts per side, and costs over £10 !!!
Maybe at 75% of that price, and certainly half the price, they'd be worth it, but a costly investment otherwise.

I got quite a bit done this weekend

P2061674.JPG

Put on the dull coat, did some exhaust staining with pastels, removed the masking from the clear parts, and put the engines on. I know the real thing has gloss paint but I feel that gloss on a model makes it look like toy so I decided to put on the dull coat.

P2061675.JPG

The engine cowls on

P2071678.JPG

I managed to put together one of the main gear assemblies after quite a bit of struggling and creative clamping with masking tape the structure seemed pretty sturdy so I may not need that extra strut I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back