**** DONE: 1/48 F7F-2N Tigercat – Night War of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The exhaust stacks were hollowed out but the hole was way too small so I drilled them out. The first pic is a before and after.

I didn't get a picture but I spent quite a bit of time deepening all the fuselage panel lines as they were too shallow although the ones on the wings were fine.
P1161637.JPG
P1181638.JPG

After every thing had been cleaned up and masked I sprayed on the paint and was very surprised that it dried glossy as I thought it was flat paint. It should make the decal possess go quicker as I won't have to coat it with Future beforehand but the paint is still slightly tacky after 24 hours.

Last edited:
That's looking the biz Glenn.
Just check the paint bottle/tin, as it might actually be matt paint. The fact that it's glossy, and still tacky after so long might be an indication that the matting agent hasn't fully dissolved into the carrier oils, even if stirred properly.
This has happened to me a few times, during the change of manufacturing plant for Humbrol enamels, and in the worst case, I had to strip the paint, as it remained tacky even after a week, which meant the pigment and carrier were lying on the surface in two separate layers, and would never fully dry.
However, if it is matt paint, you might be lucky, and it might harden after another 12 hours or more, and remain gloss. It can happen sometimes, and just means that particular bottle/tin needs more stirring before use, to 'blend' the pigment and carrier.

I hope it does harden, it was not an easy spray job to do as it was all one color with nothing to properly hold on to wile spraying, not to mention its so nose heavy with all that lead that it kept wanting to flip out of my hands.
I'm hoping that the cold temps on the back porch have slowed down the curing process and it will harden up in the end. It's been miserably cold here lately with temps hovering around 0F. I have a heater I use when I'm out there but at night the temp on the porch drops down to just above freezing.

I know that feeling !
It's been minus 1 to minus 2 here for the past few days, and I had to bring some small parts I'd painted for the Spitfire, into the lounge to dry.
The cold could also explain the gloss finish if it is matt paint.
Either way, it's looking good, and should look great with the decals on.

Dang... you got a shinier finish with a matt paint than I can achieve with a gloss! That looks really good.

Looks like the paint is finely cured. A few days in the heated house seems to have done it. I've started in on the engines and hope to get some panel line work done today. Pictures when I have something worth showing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back