<> **** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MkII - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice indeed.
I've seen pics of the real aircraft with the wings folded, and often wondered where the control runs were, for the ailerons.

Thanks everyone. Terry, I don't know for sure the answer to your question even after having spent an hour to a search for the answer. One site had a discussion with what appeared to be mostly conjecture, one person going so far as to point to the bracing for the upper wing center section and referring to it as the aileron "cable". I had suspected that the linkage ran through the lower wing hinge area and that the lower aileron operated the uppers. However, I found this diagram which shows the aileron linkage, numbered 108, as connecting across the UPPER hinge point. I don't know how this connects to the control column though.

Capture.JPG

Andy, Your persistence, dedication to do it right, and modeling skills are making this a very impressive model. Believe me when I say that this thread will be my most important reference when I redo mine.

Great job so far!

Thanks Dr. Hugh. Some of the above-mentioned fiddly bits follow:

The area that I have concentrated on is in front of the windscreen. Below is the view before any additions have been made. The only detail part previously added here is the PE reticle gunsight hanging down from the upper wing center section.

17042601.jpg

This is one of the PE torpedo sighting bars that is included in the rigging detail set. Not very convincing.

17042604.jpg

I decided to chuck the PE parts and make my own using brass rod and bits of styrene rod. Below is a partial assembly of the scratch-built parts, actually my second attempt as the hanger rods were cut too long at first forcing the sighting rods to angle down. I have started adding the light bulbs on the right. These are individually cut 0.5mm styrene rod glued to the brass with CA glue.

17042602.jpg

The finished sights with power chords made of lead wire added at the inner ends. Also seen in the above and below pics are the PE diagonal struts running from the upper wing down to the fuselage, as well as the radar antenna at the leading edge, all of which make this area quite busy.

17042603.jpg

Below is a pic to compare with the first one above, showing the various additions described earlier. The sighting bar has now been painted. Not mentioned earlier are the two lead wires that I added between upper wing and fuselage. These show up in many reference pics and I can only assume that they have something to do with the radar antenna or possibly wiring for the nav lights.

17042605.jpg

Back on the folded wing, all of the flying wires are now back in and the interplane strut has been installed and painted. The brace holding the end of the wing to the tailplane was a bit of a pain in that I could not get this to fit properly. I ended up switching with the one that was supposed to go on the other side and this did fit better, though there is still some tension in all of this. I'm also not keen on the flat coat I applied (Tamiya Flat Clear with a dab of gloss clear) as the surface has now chalked up a bit. I may go over this with another flat acrylic that I have.

17042606.jpg

That's it for today. Thanks everyone.

Thanks Geo and yes I will do that. I actually already did it with what I though was a different colour but it doesn't show up well at all. I will need to lighten it a bit and redo it. Begs the question though, what colour would this tape have been? It does look lighter in your pic above and some are darker than the surrounding Dark Slate Grey.

That looks great Andy. You can sometimes knock the chalkiness off a flat finish with some gentle buffing with a soft cloth. Might be tricky to get at the lower wing though...

Thanks guys. Yeah soft cloth is my usual method but that's out due to the delicate features on this model. I will shoot on some MM acrylic flat which has a slight sheen.

Decided that the Yagi antennas as supplied in the kit were a bit too clunky so I snipped off the diodes and made new ones by drilling small holes in the support bar and inserting brass rod. Should have done the same with the one on the wing center section but it's tough to get the drill in there now.

17042701.jpg

I decided to tart up the wing fold lock handle by making a depression in the center with a drill and outlining the edges in red. Should have been cut right off and replaced with wire but I decided against that early in the game.

17042702.jpg

The prop has been pressed into place and can still be removed if needed.

17042703.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back